Arthritis Expert Forum
HELP So mamy doctors to many tests and no answers!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Hi, I am a 19 year old very active female...i have been a figure skater since i was 5 and cheerleaded all 4 years of high school.  3 years ago it started with a pelvic tilt..from there it went to lower back pain and after a numerous amount of mri's and x-rays it was discover that i had to buldging disks i believe the L4 and L5..i went to physical therapy for about 7 months and nothing seemed to be working for it.  Eventually my chiro. said that I should see my physician because he thinkgs i might have fybromyalgia because i kept having soar spots ..mostly in my shoulder and hips..i was still keeping in mind that i have figure skated all of my life doing a variety of jumps and spins and taking good spills..so i figure having hip pain is understandable!!..so i was recomended to see my physician..went there had a lot of bloodwork done and it all came back normal..and for the pain she prescribed skelaxin and a lidoderm patch both did not work..and then she reffered me to a rheumatologist where this doctor had more bloodwork done and everything was normal except my ANA...and now she wants me to go for more bloodwork and a chest xray and now a bone scan!!!...Im going out of my mind..now she is talking about lupus.  I barely ever get a cold,I am always on the go, nothing stops me from doing what i want to do im in pain in my back afterwards but i expect it because its not fixed, i have 2 jobs i am very active always happy the only problem i have is with my back to me i feel perfectly fine i don't always feel tired or anything its just my back!..and doing certain things make it feel worse..is it even remotely possible for something like that to be wrong with me and not know it wouldnt there be some sort of sign?? Im sick of having all these tests and now answers.  I am 19 and want to live my life i just have a bad back ..i mean in cheerleading i was the person lifting people so doesnt that make sense with the back problems?? Is this doctor have good reasoning for all this shes making me nervous I'm so young, i don't want to have anything life threating wrong with me..wouldnt there be any other smymptons to go along with what shes thing because if there is i don't see any i just have pain in my back because of the buldging disks!..and a couple sore spots everynow and then...its not like its every day..please help..someone has to have the answer??
It is difficult to say without examination.

You clearly have had a comprehensive workup.  With the abnormal ANA, lupus as well as other rheumatological diseases are possible.  A bone scan as well as the confirmatory testing is not unreasonable.  

If you are not comfortable with the workup or diagnosis, you can always ask for another opinion - preferably at a major academic medical center.  

Another consideration would be a referral to a physiatrist (rehabilitation MD).  A specialized exercise and pain regimen can be considered if the workup remains negative.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Hi-- my best friend has a lupus foundation --go to DXLupus.org
on the web.
  Good luck!
I was a very active teenaget, developed back problems at 8, slipped disk etc and prblems in my hip, eventually this would casue sciatica, now 18 years later I was recently diagnosed with ankolosing sponylitis, I tested postive for the HLA 27B gene, this may be an answer or not to your back problems, you sound so much like me, you feel better when you are active, yeah, in the beginning the symptoms are mild, thought you might want to include it in you blood work up becasue if someone can done that for me 18 years ago I would be in better shape now, I had a postive ANA too, sometimes that don't mean nothing 5-20% of the population will always test postive for it,