Arthritis Community
HELP Sudden onset of swollen painful hands and red palms

I don't know what happen but here is the story.  I am a female and over 50 yrs old.  I recently quit smoking and at the same time my doctor put me on 50,000 units of vit d for 8 weeks 1x wk. I also cut down on my blood pressure medicine propanolol by half.
Within 4 weeks of this happening, my hands suddenly started to swell with red plams, very swollen, and then very painful. I also noticed I was not urinating as much.  This lasted about 4 weeks and then the swelling and pain started to subside.  The next 4 weeks I just have minor pain and slight swelling with red palms. I also have diabetes controled by diet.

It is going into the 3rd month and this has not gone away.  I see an arthritis doctor in a couple of more week.s

I am hoping this has nothing to do with a disease ie arthritis, etc. I am thinking maybe i shocked my system with quitting smoking cold turkey and reduce my meds might have something to with it.  Any help out there

Because of the number of conditions you are dealing with and all the changes you made simultaneously, I have to encourage you to call your doctor to discuss your symptoms.  Please do not wait until you are scheduled to see your arthritis doctor and let us know what you find out.