Arthritis Community
Help with MRI results

Help with MRI results

Hi I just had an MRI on my spine. The findings are a bilateral facet osteoarthropathy at L4 -5 more to the right without central canal or neurel foraminal narrowing.At L4-S1 there is left sided facet osteoarthropathy. Can someone please help me understand what this means. The docor wants me to go to pain management to have injections in my spine. Does anyone have any advice ????     Thank you....
It sounds like your MRI shows osteoarthritis on both sides of your spine from L5 up to L5.  It's only on the left side from L4-S1.  The important part is the statment, "without central canal or neural foraminal narrowing."  That means that your spinal canal and the nerves exiting from the vertebra are not being squished by bony overgrowth.

I agree with your doctor's advice to try the injections.  They actually do work very well and sometimes last for several months to a year.  You really don't want to mess with surgery unless and until the nerves become impinged.  Don't be afraid of the shots.  You'll be knocked out for the short time they're being done.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to see  the pain management doctor tomorrow for a consultation. I'm going to schedule a time for the injections. I really can't take the pain anymore..He was the one that wanted to do the injections before I got the MRI. My MD doctor seems to think the injections will work I am really scared about getting a needle in my spine.I know a few people the injections did not work.Thanks again !!!!!
Warning I went to a pain management doc. and before he would give me an injection he maid me use all my five visits that was approved by my insurance.  This injection was for a pinched nerve in my neck and only lasted a couple of days.  Also I have found out that those injections can deteriorize your bones and make things worse.  Be careful
mylove4jj46
mylove4jj46 Also I had to be awake the hole time that they did it and I could see it on a screen a big needle going into my neck.
Hi Thanks so much for all the info.Well ....I went for the injections and the first time was just a test.They stuck needles in my back to determine where the problem was.They claim they give you a mild sedation,but I say they didn't give me any! I felt every needle going into my back.He had to test on both sides of my spine..Very Painful !!!!  The after effects were horrible.I was in more pain after the testing.The doc said I should come back for a steroid injection in 2 weeks. I went back for a steroid injection thinking I would finally get some relief from the pain.No such luck !!!!  So here I am still in pain and very frustrated. My pain management Doctor hasn't given me anything for pain. He gave me Daypro and elavil ????   Not sure why,but not helping...Doc said something about coming back and he would either do some more testing or some kind of radio frequency.. Any Advice ???? Not sure what to do...  Thanks