Arthritis Expert Forum
High CRP Treatment

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

High CRP Treatment

I'm 30 yrs old and suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis since childhood. Four years back I had THR (Total Hip Replacement). After that I had no problem for an year or so. And then I started getting pains in my right shoulder. I had consulted with my Rhumatologist and with some medication it got cured. Later my neck got affected. And even after medications it's not yet cured. Now the worst part it, I'm just unable to move my neck. If I want to look at my sides I've to turn around to left/right and see the things.
Yesterday I had been to the hospital and my doctor advised to start the course of "Methylprednisolone sodium succinate" once a month for six months. I'm bit worried about this medication as it is Steroid. I'm not doubting on my doctor's ability but just want to know if is there any other medication that I can go with.
Well I had my blood tests like ESR, CRP etc. Everything is normal but CRP. It is above 5 mg/dl. And this is the only reason my doctor advised me to go with Methylprednisolone sodium succinate. Is there any other treatment that I can go with to lower the CRP level.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear Manmath,

Hello!

We would want to give you some knowledge of interpretation of CRP and advise about your future course of action.

C-reactive protein (CRP) is a protein found in the blood, the levels of which rise in response to inflammation (an acute-phase protein).

It rises above normal limits within 6 hours, and peaks at 48 hours.

CRP is used mainly as a marker of inflammation.

Measuring and charting C-reactive protein values can prove useful in determining disease progress or the effectiveness of treatments.

Because CRP increases in severe cases of inflammation, the test is ordered when acute inflammation is at risk (such as from an infection after surgery) or suspected based on patient symptoms as in your case.  It is also ordered to help evaluate conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.

You are advised to take Methylprednisolone sodium succinate to suppress your inflammation. You can always stop it after one or two doses if it does not improve your condition.

You are advised to go for a X-ray and MRI of spine of neck and right shoulder, Rheumatoid factor estimation and correlate it with the other findings of the Rheumatologist.

Take care and keep us posted.