Arthritis Community
How do you cope?

How do you cope?

Coping techniques are key to living successfully with arthritis in any form you have it.  Many new patients do not know what to expect or how to deal with it.  Let's take a minute to share.

What gets you through your flares, your rough days, your low moments?  How do you keep going through it all?
On my really bad days, I declare them "Be Good to ME" days and let myself read, watch movies or what ever I feel like doing.  In this way I take all the pressure off myself.  I forgive myself any chores, errands or commitments and allow myself guilt-free indulgence for a day.  This seems to reduce the length and severity of my flares.  Drugs help, too.  :)
Hi Sandy!!!  I like your "Be Good to Me" days name.  I have found my animals a great source of inspiration for getting me out of bed, they need to pee too, right?  And the only one who is gonna walk them early is mama!!!  And the kids need to get to school and the hubby to work so I have to get out of bed, even though I don't want to (I'm whining now) hehehe

What gets me through the bad times is the caring and lovingness of my family and especially my wonderful friends here on the forums.  I don't know what I would of done without this place.  But it does help when you can talk to people who can relate to you and just be a friend.  

I find being able to laugh at myself, instead of crying over spilled milk quite a talent now!!!  I have even started a spatula juggling act when cooking, (I'm not very good at it) I can't figure out why my fingers cant grasp the darn things...  Oh yeah, I have arthritis!!!  hehehe

Love Ya Friend,

Ada

What gets me through the bad days and pain is this forum and seeing that others are making it. I am able to see that others are worse than I am. My fingers hurt when I typebut I put Voltaren Gel and wait a while and off I go. I feel if I do not keep them moving they will get worse. My spouse doesn't understand how I can type but cant grasp a pen/pencil and p/u a frying pan. How I want to p/u sometimes and lower on his head. In all though, he truly is a supportive person. He has put up with a lot from me. When I hurt I fuss at him. It's getting better. What can I take for the pain. I want to take something to knock me out and wake up when a cure has been found. I am also a recovering addict with 20 years. I have told all my MD. Now I wish they would give me something stronger. What can I take? What can I do. Even tried meditation and relaxation techniques. Thanks for any suggestions.
Ada, I could not agree more about the doggy being a motivation and comfort.  I don't have kids and my hubby, well he takes more care of me than I do of him - bless him.

Mat1956, I sometimes have to put Stop Pain (a roll on) on my hands to type.  I have threatened to fill a tub with the stuff and just roll in it in hopes of getting relief :)

Another way I cope is to set my expectations of myself (and sometimes others expectations of me) low so that I have a hope of achieving them!  Plus anything I get done beyond that is lagniappe (for those not in the know, lagniappe is a Cajun term meaning something free above and beyond the base.  Fun to say - lawnyop)
I can't take meds coz I suffer some allergies so when my arthritis flares I try to rest (not easy with kids!), use a few of the natural therapies I have found work well for me and watch my diet to try to get over it as soon as possible. I always avoid things like potatoes & the nightshades but sometimes its hard. The cold weather makes it hard too so I try to stay warm.
Interesting?  What type of arthritis do you have?  Which natural therapies work well for you?  
Thx for asking txsilver. I've osteoarthritis in the hands & hips..a family thing sadly. Also the OA aggravates my heberden nodes in the finger joints which makes it hard at times as it just progressively gets worse. I find at the moment as I'm so cold that thermomedic heat gloves work best for my hands as I'm allergic to the preservatives used in most meds. I also massage my hands each day too.