How does right knee damage effect the left knee
I damaged my right knee in the army on 2 separate occasions. Both time I tore the ligaments and once tore the cartilage. It was suggested to me that because of the sustained time frames of my left knee bearing my weight that it would give me problems later in life. I now have arthritis in both knees and am wondering if the left knee is due to the injuries from years ago?
It could very well be - since your left leg was basically doing the work of two legs, it took extra punishment, so it's very possible that it has worn down a lot faster than it might have had you not had an injured right knee.

Have you tried either cortisone injections or the Synvisc or Euflexxa injections in your knee or knees?  I've tried both in mine and didn't have much success with them, but I do know quite a few people do find them quite helpful.  I think in my case, my knees are just too far gone.  I've already been told that double knee replacement is in my future, but my surgeon and I are trying to hold of as long as possible to give me the longest possible "use" of the surgery.  The concern is that since I'm only 47, the sooner I have the surgery/ies, the greater the possibility is that I'll need to have them redone later down the road, whereas if I hold off as long as possible, I may be able to get by with just having them done once.

I feel for ya - knee pain and problems are definitely NO fun!