How long does it take Arava to start working?
Hi, I was recently diagnosed with psoriactic arthritis and the doctor put me on Arava.  I've been on it for 4 weeks with no relief.  In fact, the pain has increased in all of my joints and my toes have decided to join in on the fun as well.  My question is has anyone had any experience with this drug in the amount of time it takes to start working?  Is it usually immediate or does it take time to "build up" in your system before it begins to work?  Just wondering when I might expect some relief.  My next apointment isn't until January.
Bumping this up so someone who knows can answer.
Unfortunately it can take up to 4 to 6 weeks before you notice any effect from the drug; and in some patients it can take up to 6 months before any benefits are noted /pain relief.

Thi may not be the drug for you; consider talking about using a biologic drug (Humira, Enbrel, Simponi or Remicade) when this drug fails to help you.

Your comment is over two years old, but hopefully this can help someone else.

Dr. Bob
I, too, have been on Arava for a month with nothing but worsening pain and symptoms. I have been told, as drbob992 said, that it can take quite some time to begin to help, if it is going to help.  Usually, when it fails to help much or takes longer than "expected" a biologic will be added.  You may want to discuss this with your rheumatologist.  Aggressive treatment is needed to slow down progression of disease activity and erosion.  I'll be starting one in January 2013.

I don't know what else to say and I know this is an older post, but I do want you to know you are NOT alone in this fight!  Hang in there!  I know it feels impossible some days, but things can and will be done.  It's just a crummy process, to wait and see and then wait and see again.  ♥