Arthritis Community
Is this the Start of Arthritis?

Is this the Start of Arthritis?

I am a 26 year old female who a paternal grandmother with rheumatoid arthritis, but no one else in my extended or immediate family has any type of arthritis (so far.)
Lately, a few times a week, when I wake up in the morning, my knuckles and fingers swell so that I cannot get a ring on, and it is SO painful to open and close my fists or try to open any bottles, etc.
These symptoms generally disappear within an hour and have only happened in the morning thus far.
Could this be the beginnings of arthritis, or am I just freaking out over nothing?? Thanks for reading!

***ERIKA LOU***
Hi Erika,

My fingers/hands swell and hurt also, and my wrists.  My thumbs are the worst.  However, I am much older than you.  My sister has rheumatoid arthritis, and my grandmother had it.  I am trying to get a diagnosis now, but it is difficult because you can still have the disease, but test negative for it.  Also, as I understand, some people have a combination of osteoarthritis (I have in my knees) and rheumatoid.