Arthritis Expert Forum
Joint Pain and Elevated ESR

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Joint Pain and Elevated ESR

I'm a 32 year old female in fairly good health about 20 lbs. overwieght! Suffer from mild anxiet! About a month ago (Feb.14-26)I had my first bout ever of bronchitis.  It cleared up within 2 weeks. About a week later I started to have asthma/allergy symptoms. I took Claritan 24 hour tablets and used an inhaler. It is now a few weeks later and symptoms have since cleared.  During this time I started to have shoulder pain....at first I thought I may have had a pinched nerve, but it has gotten worse and is now painful in my hip, knees, and elbows.  So painful at times it brings me to tears. I went to an urgent care clinic.  The doctor didn't know what it could be so he decided to do blood work.  Blood work included cbc/platelets, esr, comprehensive metabolic panel, ana eia w/reflex to ifa, endocrinology tsh, 3rd generation. Everything is in range except for the following:

RDW  15.4    normal range 11.0- 15.4
ESR  54      normal range 0-22

Dr. referred me to a rheumatologist (sp?) She reassured me that it wasn't anything serious but needs to be investigated! I am so scared!!  Isn't joint pain a symptoms of leukemia? Infection and bone pain are symptoms... would my blood work show abnormal WBC, RBC, and platelets if this were the case? ESR is high is this indicative of leukemia even if cbc normal. Imflammation somewhere?? or arthritis? Should I get a second opinion? All I know is that I am in pain!!! I pray it's not anything serious....I ask the doctor straight up if I had leukemia and she looked at me and said "no you don't why would you think that?"  could she be wrong???  HELP!!! I'm overweight could it be the cause of my joint pain? I also sleep wierd arms tucked under chest....need your opinion.

Thank You in advance,

Gina

An elevated ESR is suggestive of inflammation - which can be caused by a variety of diseases such as infection, trauma, or rheumatologic disease.  It is highly non-specific.  

If there is continued bone pain, a bone scan can be considered to rule out injury or infection.  

A normal CBC would make leukemia less likely.  Obtaining a peripheral smear and bone marrow biopsy can be considered if indicated.  

I agree with the rheumatology evaluation.  Imaging of any affected areas and joints can also be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
When I read you post I could not believe how much it sounded so much like what I have been going through for months! I too have elevated ESR and RDW with everything else normal...My ESR is at 67 and my RDW was at 16.0. I also did show slight anemia. In the Fall of 2006 I woke up one morning so stiff that I could barely walk to the bathroom - not to mention that my bones hurt to the point that I could barely sit on the toliet. For the past 6 + months I have had all sorts of aches and pains along with fatigue. Sometimes I am not sure if it is bone or muscle pain/aches. I am so curious to know if you find anything out from the rhematologist. Please respond if you get any news. Thanks
I too have suffered the same symptoms -- would love to hear back from the both of you on what you have heard...

My joint pain lately has gone down considerably, been using all natural supplements, seeming to do the trick... Glucosamine and Chondroitin, plus fish oil and other systemic enzymes that SUPPOSEDLY reduce the risk of inflamatory conditions such as swelling and coronary heart disease...

Fellow blogger on internet turned me onto Jigsaw Health, great website, informative if nothing else...

Here is a link to the Arthritis page:
http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/Arthritis.html

Good luck and lets keep eachother in the know!!!

Blesses...
There are many reasons for joint pains, so it's best to see what your doctor has to say. But then again, i managed to relive my good and active times again after using this product from my home country.

It's called MediLynk TGC (Transdermal Glucosamine Cream). Available in 2 types High Strength(75g / 45g) & Capsaicin (45g). Transdermal is that company's propriety technology where the medicine are encapsulated into water-soluble molecules and applied through your skin directly to the affected area. Glucosamine on the other hand is often used used to kill joint pains and promote cartilage health.

This is though a premium product, but they cost only about US$20 - US$30 per tube before freight charges. My mum used it and felt that it's useful. Personally, i'm also a very sporty person who engages in alot of sports, and i think it's something really worth. Yet, there is no known side effects.

Oh yeah, it's not just something that can be applied when you're in pain. Even if you're healthy, applying it regularly and ensure healthy joints even in your twilight years.

I think they have an online store for international sales, so go ahead and take a look. :)

http://www.lynkbiotech.com/products.asp
Any news? Please let me know.  I am seeing my Dr tomorrow for the same symptoms.  I too had bronchitis before all of this started.  

Best Wishes
hello.

i also share many of the same symptoms and lab results.  so, if anyone gets some answers, let me know!

however, i'm also a lab tech.  and i know that even slight red cell abnormality (as indicated by an abnormal rdw) can effect the sed. rate... usually increasing it.  sed rate tests are very non-specific tests and warrent follow-up with more specific testing, like a CRP, for example.

sincerely

jiffer
A related discussion, What does this mean? was started.