Arthritis Community
Joint pain one side of the body

Joint pain one side of the body

Ok so im having joint pains on my left knee but it's pretty on and off, but when its off i actually feel a discomfort(No inflammation, frequent popping sounds). I am also having the same feeling on my left wrist,left elbow, left big toe and rarely my shoulder. They become worst after waking up.
Already went to the doctor for this and I guess he's thinking it's gout because he's asking me to get my uric levels checked, but i'm doubtful it's gout because of the absence of the inflammation.

Additional Information: Around a month ago, i had protected sex with a massage parlor lady

Is there any chance that I picked up an STD? Please help I just want some information on whats happening to me, this is the first time i've ever felt this way, and it's making me really anxious.
Arthritis type symptoms can be triggered by your body's reaction to a viral or bacterial infection. In this autoimmune type of arthritis, it isn't at all unusual for it to seem to affect only one side of the body, or for one side to seem worse than the other.

Just because there is no visible swelling doesn't mean there isn't inflammation going on - I have joints that are severely damaged that have never swelled.

Did you tell your doctor about your STD fears? It's very important to give your doctor ALL information, even if you don't think it's relevant at the time, even if it's embarrassing. Trust me, they have heard it all and nothing will shock them. It's better that the doctor knows everything so he isn't chasing down blind alleys. I'm sure he'll want to test your for various STDs and maybe refer you to a rheumatologist if nothing obvious shows up. Good luck!

Hey thanks a lot :D. The thing about my joint pain is that they pop a lot, but I can still move my limbs properly, it's just that it feels uncomfortable. Is this common on people with arthritis?, pain , and nothing else?
Im also having muscle pains on my forearm and calves >.<
Absolutely, very common on all counts. Autoimmune type inflammation is almost never limited to the joints alone - it can affect tendons, muscles, organs, eyes, skin, etc.

Also, when you have pain in a joint, your natural tendency is to unconsciously tense up against the pain. Over time the constant muscle fatigue can lead to swelling and pain in the muscle, spasms, popping, etc. Hope this helps!