Knee Clicking/Locking
Two weeks ago i noticed that after kneeling down for more than a few minutes when i get up my knee locks and seems to make a clicking noise when extending my leg back out which is very painful.

I have had two weeks off and have another one of over christmas and i have been resting quite a bit but today when kneeling down near the bath to wash the dog i had this clicking again with only a slight pain. I seems to start off like this and get worse.

Is this something like a meniscus tears that should get better over time or is it something worse like arthritis?

Also is there anything i can take to help with recovery or help with prevention?

Im a 24 year old male, i work as a concreter and go to the gym 4 times a week. I had knee issues when i was much younger due to growing too quickly, this issue stopped more than 10 years ago.
Hi!
To know whether it will heal by itself or need treatment depends on the cause of knee lock. The various causes of knee locking are torn medial meniscus, mis-aligned knee cap, osteoarthritis, knee arthritis, torn lateral meniscus, osteochondritis dissecans, recurrent patella dislocation - may cause knee locking or knee collapse, chondromalacia patella - occasional locking or knee collapse, knee alignment problem, knee fragment  or knee cartilage disorder. True knee locking is caused by either a torn piece of cartilage, or a loose bone fragment due to a bone disorder called osteochondritis dissecans.  Sometimes misalignment of the bones and muscles around the knee cause this obstruction. True locking is fairly rare. A person can experience an inability to move the knee after an injury which feels like a locking of the knee. However, this is not due to something physically interfering with the movement of that knee. This is called a pseudo-lock.
Hence you may need X-rays and MRIs of the knee to find the exact cause. If you use your knee a lot, then its best you consult a specialist.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!