Arthritis Expert Forum
Knee Replacement Surgery/Oxycontin Withdrawal
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Knee Replacement Surgery/Oxycontin Withdrawal

Hi, due to severe arthritis in both of my knees and being put on a waiting list for replacement surgery, I was prescribed Oxycontin for the pain as at the height of my pain, it was the only drug that seemed to provide me some relief.  I have been on Oxycontin for 1-1/2 years and was probably taking 50 mg. every 8 hours for 9 months or so.  I finally had my second knee replacement on June 2nd and after surgery my dosage went to 60 mg. every 8 hours from 50 mg. every 8 hours because I didn't want to go any higher.  Since my surgery I have slowly weaned myself off of the drug, yesterday I only took 2 10 mg. 12 hours apart and then took 1 10 mg. this morning and nothing since.  I have however experienced the excessive yawning, diarrhea and fatigue.  Did I wean myself off the drugs too fast?  How long can I expect these symptoms to last?  I thought by weaning myself off this way, I would have no withdrawal symptoms.  Thanks for your response.