Knee arthritis and rowing
I have osteoarthritis in my knee - I had to have major surgery in it 20 years ago to reattach torn knee ligaments and now I have arthritis, with bone spurs and my knee is slightly bent inwards.  
I've been doing aerobic workouts on the Concept 2 rowing machine.  Is this bad for my knee?  I don't bend my knee much past 90 degrees when I row, because it's stiff.  Also I don't row with the damper set high.  I use it with the damper at 2.5 or 3.  It doesn't make my knee hurt or stiffen up afterwards.
I asked an orthopedist I'd seen, through his PA.  He said he didn't recommend the rowing machine for people with arthritis because it compressed the patello-femoral joint too much.
I'm kind of skeptical about this because it doesn't feel like there's much impact.  I'm a woman, I don't row with as much force as a strong guy would - although I do kick pretty hard and I get an intense aerobic workout.  Also not doing deep knee bends on the rowing machine seems like it would ease the stress on my knee.   Any perspective on this?  
thanks
Laura