Arthritis Expert Forum
Knee pain and muscle twitching
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Knee pain and muscle twitching

Quick question relating to twitching and stiffness in the knee joints, and ankles. I am 40 years old and have been experiencing muscle twitches all over my body for about 3+ months. They are all over (15-20 or so a day), but most common in my eyelids, right chest, biceps, jaw and upper abdomen. Most of them are fluttering twitches and are really rapid. Also, and even more distessingly, I've recently developed deep recurrent stiffness of the knees - specifically, under the kneecap, on inner side of the knee and in the back of the knee. Sometimes it feels as though my right knee is going to give out from beneath me. It will stiffen up in the back and momentarily buckle. (I also notice a far milder but similar sensation in my ankes as in my knees.) It tends to vary in severity, but is worse when I sit for long periods and when squatting, kneeling, and running up stairs. I may experience stiffness in one knee and not the other for a couple of hours to an entire day and then vice versa. I tore my right MCL about 20 years ago, and somehow wrenched my left knee six months ago, which resolved itself 2-3 weeks later. All these new pains seem to have occured out of the blue. So my question is: How likely is this type of knee pain a neurological problem rather than an arthritic type problem (especially when combined with symptoms of twitching)? Could the old knee injuries have anything to do with this? Or does this sound like a form of arthritis, and would any such condition affect both knees at the same time? Thank you for your time and effort.