Arthritis Community
Knee stiffness and a feeling of "crepitus" one year after TKA...

Knee stiffness and a feeling of "crepitus" one year after TKA

I am one year out from a total knee replacement and stil have clicking and stiffness in the joint.  At times I do have pain in the bone as well.   The knee does not feel stable and sometimes it feels as though it is going to give out. How long should I expect this?  I would like to start bicycling, but am fearful that it isn't stable.
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include prosthesis issues, further degeneration, bursitis, tendonitis, neuro-muscular causes etc. Ideally a period of physiotherapy  is advised  post a TKR to help improve movement and muscle strength and most patents are symptom free and have good range of movement by 2-8 months. Since it has already been an year since the replacement, I would suggest considering a review with your treating orthopedician to look for secondary issues and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!