Arthritis Community
Knuckle bumps

Knuckle bumps

I have large bumps on my all of my middle knuckles. They are tender to the touch and tender when put under pressure - like making a fist. They are on all 8 fingers (thumbs excluded). I have tried ice, heat, massage, reike, and anti-inflammatories. I've been to a dermatoligist. I had biopsies done on the pad type material - inconclusive. I've had cortisone injections and tried a topical steroid. No change. I am right handed but the issue is bi-lateral. I have a desk job. Tenderness seems to be greater first thing in the morning due to stiffness but continues throughout the day. I live in a temperate climate (CA). I do sports (run and ultimate frisbee). Abstension does not seem to matter. I've tried diet changes (no red meat, no nutrisweet, no alcohol). No change.  Other health issues include high blood pressure, leg (hamstring/periformis), and heel pain. Spirits generally good. I experience fatigue seemingly early in evening. I am at a loss for next step(s) and I am open to suggestions.
Have they checked you for arthritis or for RA?  What specialists have you seen?  
I've seen a general practitioner. He referred me to a dermatoligist. The dermatoligist took the biopsy - several times - and sent it in for evaluation. I'm not sure if that is a test for Arthritis or RA. The result didn't find anything.
If they have not already done so, you may want to ask for the blood tests to screen for autoimmune conditions.  The nodules you are describing could be related to RA.  They may not be RA, but it is worth investigating while you are searching for a diagnosis.
Will do. Thanks.