Arthritis Expert Forum
Leg Soreness, Stiffness and Numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Leg Soreness, Stiffness and Numbness

I have had an area of soreness in the front part of my left thigh for nearly two months. There has been no trauma in that area and no sign of bruising. I had nerve conduction tests on my legs and they were normal. I have had twitching in my calves in both legs for years, but this soreness is new. Periodically, throughout the day I will feel 'electric currents' running through the area of soreness, especially when sitting or when I lay down to sleep at night. When I wake up during the night, an even larger area including that area of soreness will feel numb. When I wake up in the morning my legs are often stiff and I am a big wobbly on my feet at first. I have had a brain MRI which was 'clean' and a spinal MRI which didn't show any abnormalities which would contribute to symptoms in my left thigh. What is going on?
Difficult to say without evaluation.  You certainly have had comprehensive tests for evaluation, including an EMG and MRIs.  That would make neurological disease less likely.

You can consider metabolic causes like thyroid disease or vitamin B-12 deficiency.  Muscle disorders can be evaluated by checking the creatinine kinase or aldolase level.  Various rheumatological diseases can be considered by measuring the ANA level as well as the rheumatoid factor.  

A second neurological opinion can also be considered if the symptoms continue.

These options and tests can be discussed with your personal physician.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
For six months, I have suffered with extreme soreness in both my legs. It hurts to walk,go up stairs and if I sit even a little while my legs feel stiff. I feel the pain every where in my legs, the muscle, the bones, joints. I just can't pinpoint it. At one point it felt like it was behind my knee in the muscle. But now it has grown to be every where on both my legs. I am scared that some day I won't be able to walk at all or do my job, which as a single parent, I need. I am almost 50 years old. I am more than 100 lbs. over weight.I blame my weight for everything. I don't drink, smoke, or take drugs or percription medication. This has gone on too long and it feels like it is getting worse.