Arthritis Community
Locking Knuckles

Locking Knuckles

First think in the morning, my base knuckles on both hands "lock" in a closed position. This condition has been steadily worsening for about a month. Yesterday, it was to the point that I could not "unlock" my left hand without using my right hand to help it. The locking progresses in severity from my index finger to my pinkie, with the pinkie finger locking the tightest. I know that trigger finger usually locks the knocking knuckles, but I've never heard of someones base knuckles locking up. Anyone else have this problem?

Just as a side note, I had knee surgery a year and a half ago. My knee cap dislocated, and when I collapsed onto my knee, somehow a piece of my femur chipped off. The accident happened for no apparent reason, I was just getting for work in the morning. The doctors were totally baffled as to how a piece of my femur would have chipped off.

Lastly, I have been trying to get pregnant for a year with my husband, unsuccessfully. I have all of the tell-tale signs of low thyroid, but had my thyroid tested and it was fine. Now I am suspecting low progesterone, because I've heard that that can cause many of the same symptoms as hypothyroidism. Would low progesterone possibly be causing early bone loss? I am only 27.

Does it sound like I have a bone or joint condition that should seek medical treatment right now?
Have you been diagnosed with bone loss?  I definitely think the problem you are describing should be investigated by a doctor.  You may have something besides arthritis going on, but it should be investigated.  Please let us know what you find out.