ARTHRITIS
COMMUNITY
MRI Results
by cookieh70, Apr 30, 2013
Have had severe lumbar pain that radiates into left buttock and leg and have not been able to sleep in bed for 9 to 10 nights. I am seeing a back doctor and picked up this MRI report and will see him on Thurs.

Here is what it say:

T12-L1 Minor disc desiccation
L1-L2  Minor disc desiccation
L2-L:3 Minor disc desiccation . Old superior L3 endplate Schmorl's node
L4-L5 Minor disc desiccation with mild annular bulge. Minor left facet Arthopathy.. Small superior L5 endplate Schrmorl's node.
L5-S1 Minor disc desiccation. Mild to moderate right and mild hypertropic facet arthropaty.

Findings: There is superficial in or edema within the soft tissue of low back region. Similiar to previous exam.

Impression: Stable MRI  of the lumbar spine as compared to 9/16/09 Relatively mild degenerative disc changes at L3-L4, L4-L5, and to lesser extent  L-2-L3 and L5-S1 levels. No acute disc herniation.

I know this report says I do not have a herniated disc, but why can't I stay in bed on my back. I had a pillow top posturpedic mattress we purchased only a few months ago. I am at my wit's end. I hope you can help me.

Patsy Hutchinson
Member Comments (1)
by bigsissie, May 02, 2013
You do not have a herniated disc but you do have a bulging disc. Lack of movement or too much movement may cause this area to become irritated or inflamed and cause pain during the night. There is a chart on my profile that may help you. It is a Nerve Conduction chart. You may want to try putting a pillow under your knees or getting a memory foam mattress topper. ( I love my topper and could not sleep without it )  Also taking and anti inflammatory before bed may help. You may want to ask your dr for a nerve medication such as Valium or Xanax as these help with nerve pain and can be taken as needed. I hope you are better soon. Best wishes, Sissie