MRI Results
Have had severe lumbar pain that radiates into left buttock and leg and have not been able to sleep in bed for 9 to 10 nights. I am seeing a back doctor and picked up this MRI report and will see him on Thurs.

Here is what it say:

T12-L1 Minor disc desiccation
L1-L2  Minor disc desiccation
L2-L:3 Minor disc desiccation . Old superior L3 endplate Schmorl's node
L4-L5 Minor disc desiccation with mild annular bulge. Minor left facet Arthopathy.. Small superior L5 endplate Schrmorl's node.
L5-S1 Minor disc desiccation. Mild to moderate right and mild hypertropic facet arthropaty.

Findings: There is superficial in or edema within the soft tissue of low back region. Similiar to previous exam.

Impression: Stable MRI  of the lumbar spine as compared to 9/16/09 Relatively mild degenerative disc changes at L3-L4, L4-L5, and to lesser extent  L-2-L3 and L5-S1 levels. No acute disc herniation.

I know this report says I do not have a herniated disc, but why can't I stay in bed on my back. I had a pillow top posturpedic mattress we purchased only a few months ago. I am at my wit's end. I hope you can help me.

Patsy Hutchinson
You do not have a herniated disc but you do have a bulging disc. Lack of movement or too much movement may cause this area to become irritated or inflamed and cause pain during the night. There is a chart on my profile that may help you. It is a Nerve Conduction chart. You may want to try putting a pillow under your knees or getting a memory foam mattress topper. ( I love my topper and could not sleep without it )  Also taking and anti inflammatory before bed may help. You may want to ask your dr for a nerve medication such as Valium or Xanax as these help with nerve pain and can be taken as needed. I hope you are better soon. Best wishes, Sissie