Arthritis Expert Forum
Mid back pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Mid back pain

Approx. 2 weeks ago, I bent over in the grocery store to pick up a bag of sugar. When I stood up, I had a sharp knife-like pain in my mid back that almost took my breath away. After that, it hurt while sitting, but OK when standing or running. (I ran a marathon last Sunday). I saw a chiropractor and x-rays showed that my neck is totally straight, not curved like it should be, almost stage 1 degeneration. He is working on that as well as my entire spine. The  pain is now a dull ache, mostly in the morning, after waking, but sometimes radiates to the left side below the rib area, feeling like a 'gas pocket'. Ibuprofen helps a lot, but I don't like taking it every day. Sometimes after a long run, my body will naturally ache, but is sore to the touch in some spots. Pain will go away after a night's sleep.

I am a vegetarian, but do eat fish and dairy. I'm 5'3, 135# and 48 years old, no children. I do enjoy a couple glasses of wine on a daily basis and sometimes will overdo on holidays or special occasions, but I wouldn't think this would contribute to back pain. I noticed about a year ago that when I would stand at the sink washing dishes, I would get the feeling of cold water dripping down my back, like something was pinched or pulled. I am in menopause, no period for 1 year, but symptoms are minimal, (hot flashes and mood swings). This is the first real pain I've had in a long time. I've never had surgery, or been hospitalized for any reason. Could I have pulled or torn a muscle when I bent over? My chiropractor said I was having spasms in my mid back an neck area.

My only 'problem' other than the back is a hemorrhoid that will occasionally itch or bleed. My gynecologist is aware of it.
A musculoskeletal cause would be the most likely possibility given its association with movement.  Any type of spasm or inflammation can cause nerve irritation that can lead to the neurological symptoms ("feeling of cold water dripping down back").

Further imaging can be considered to evaluate this - such as an MRI of the affected area.  If there is evidence of disk herniation, this can normally be initially treated with physical therapy.

If the symptoms continue, then a neurosurgical or orthopedic opinion can be obtained to see if surgery is an option.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I'm shocked to see that I'm not alone in this. I've been suffering for 3 months, out of the blue. Been tested with bone scan, cat scan, xrays, sonogram, MRI. Have had several sessions of physical therapy. All to no avail. I can't sleep on my sides, only on my back and now that is starting to bother me. I'm fine during the day. I'm wondering if the statin drug I'm taking, Crestor is the culprit. I'm going to discuss this with my DR and try and get off to see if it stops the pain at night.
Hello everyone, Here is your solution

Bryonia Alba is a homeopathic remedy for rheumatic pain and headache. This product is wonderful. I have seen many beneficial changes in many patients who use Bryonia Alba. I also use it as a nutritional support product to keep them healthy.

<a href="http://www.herbs-wholesale.com/shop/detail.asp?pid=3775">More Detail About Bryonia Alba</a>
Hi all,

This is more related to the thread 'Mid back pain after rest' but since that is closed for comments, I am posting this here.  I also suffer terribly from this mid/upper back pain after rest in the night (in my case, it started with my first pregnancy, came back after delivery and now during second pregnancy).  Finally,  I think I have a solution - ACUPRESSURE!

First time around, i went for this treatment and got relief but it recurred during second pregnancy - and this time, I went to a person who is more a acupressure trainer than practioner.  He actually teaches you how to take care of the pain yourselves and it WORKS (it is just a day but I already feel the effect)!  I am so happy and want to share this with all of you - not sure how popular acupressure is in the US though (I am from Bangalore, India).  I am giving some links here if any of you want to pursue this line of treatment.  Though you can do it yourself, I think one visit to a trained person is good - and NEVER do it yourself if you are pregnant without medical advice!

http://bhojraj.tripod.com/publish.html#Book
http://bhojraj.tripod.com/Acubook.html

Hope this helps you and pray that you all have a speedy recovery!