Arthritis Community
Mild Arthritis in Thoracic Spine

Mild Arthritis in Thoracic Spine

My Dr. recently diagnosed me with Mild Arthritis after having a Thoracic Spine X-ray. This is the 2nd time since August that this pain located  in my upper back area on the right side (if you put your arm behind your back it's where your shoulder blade is) I went to the hospital Aug.9th and they did a chest x-ray and said I had a severe Thoracic strain. After much morpheine, and muscle relaxers I went home and a week or so I was good to go. Then Oct. 8th, it came back on the left side. I know this is going to sound wierd but the timing of these incidents is both during a stressful time of my job and my menstrual cycle. I asked my DR.if this could be related and he didn't think so. He ordered the xray looking for a fracture or cancer   I guess. I know have the following drugs, Orphenadrine Citrate 100mg, Meloxicam 15mg, and Tramadol 50 mg. My question is I have always been in great health and I feel like I don't have a clear diagnosis. Should I go to therapy as he suggests OR should I request an MRI? One more think I am 44.
You definitely have a right to ask for an MRI and if you think the dx is foggy by all means ask for one.  Get a second opinion while you are at it.  If the dx does not feel right it is important to continue to explore it.  
Regarding stress and periods, I know many women with inflammatory forms of arthritis report that they experience flares during their periods and when the are stressed.  
Did your doctor say which form of arthritis he thinks you have?  There are over 100 different types!  A key to identifying osteo from the other types is whether or not the pain is better with activity.  If it is, you should be screened for autoimmune forms of the disease.  If it is not, then it is likely osteo.
Thanks for your input. My Dr. only said it was Mild Arthritis? It's comforting to know you have heard of this combination of inflammatory forms of arthritis during a menstrual cycle. My experience has been very timely and yes this is the stressful time of the month on my job as well. I think I will ask for an MRI and go to the Therapy group locally to see what they say and go from there.

Mild probably means osteo.  Still, I think you are spot on about the link to stress and your cycle.  Let us know what your doctor says, how the MRI goes and what you find out from the therapy group!
I would definately go to therapy, but if they make you hurt, make them stop...  I would definately get in for an MRI and have the bloodwork done.  Therapy works well when they know for sure what is going on.  I had a bad experience with therapy because I was first dx'd with fibro and the therapy for that can be pretty daunting, well anyway it made my symptoms flare up really bad and threw me for a major loop.  

I also believe that stress can exacerbate symptoms, so if you can lighten the load of the stress (I know, easier said than done), you can have a little more pain free days.  Or days where the stress isn't bearing down on your shoulders or back.  txsilver gave some really great advice, she is truly a doll here on the forum...

Your Friend,

Ada aka Spastic