Mrs
l am taking 30 mg of dihydrocodeine 4 times a day 3 days a week for help with pain from osteoarthritis when l do my checkout shift...no need to take when not working unless l have a spell in the garden............is this safe please age 52
The dosage is 1 30mg tablet every 4 to 6 hours.  One should be swallowed with water with or after food with water.  Also whiste taking this painkiller, do not drink alcohol.

Dihydrocodeine tablets may reduce your ability to think clearly. Effects such as ‘pins and needles’, dizziness, spinning sensations, muscle rigidity, visual disturbances, drowsiness, confusion or hallucinations may occur. Do not drive or operate machinery if affected.

These tablets can become addictive.  But if the doctor has prescribed them for you, take them as directed and only stop taking them on advice from your doctor.

You should have an information leaflet that came with your packet of these tablets.  If you do not have one, you can find the information on the web site.

I suffer from osteoarthritis.  I have had to stop taking the Ibuprofen because it caused my legs to swell. Dr. said that Ibuprofen can cause odema.

Best wishes
Hi there!

The risk/ side effects of a medication should be well evaluated against its benefits. Dosage is usually reduced with advanced age due to decreased metabolism. Though this would still be in the possible prescription range, the risk/ safety of a medication in an individual may vary with the individual metabolic profile and is best discussed with the treating physician.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!