Arthritis Expert Forum
Multi Level Degenerative Spondylosis and Spinal Axis Scoliosis, help me...

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Multi Level Degenerative Spondylosis and Spinal Axis Scoliosis, help me.

On 09-28-06 after my Doctor reviewed my MRI that she ordered, I was diagnosed with Multi Level Degenerative Spondylosis and Spinal Axis Scoliosis.  
The Spinal Axis Scoliosis is in the upper thoriacic concaving right and the lower concaves left.  I am 46 years old and I am unaware of ever having had scoliosis.  
The Degenerative Spondylosis was discovered by my having a deep burning sensation on my right back side, at first they thought it was shingles, But it continued on with no relief.  My hands went numb, my left arm and shoulder numb, my hips will go numb, my back, both sides will tingle and go numb.  My legs will tingle and go numb.  This will come and go in waves.  At times it will hurt to even breathe. I have not slept in our bed for a full night in years.

Here are the results for the MRI which was only for Thoriacic area:
Osteophytic spurring is most pronunced:
C5-C6 disc space level, AND
T3-4 AND
the left side of the T6-7 AND
T7-8 AND
T9-10 disc level.  

On 02-10-05 I had an MRI done for intense lower back pain.
Here are the results for the MRI which was only for the Lumbar area:
L4-5 small central disc protrusion and annular bulge. Mild loss of height and decreased signal compatible w/ disc degeneration is seen.  
L5-S1 Small-Medium Left Paramediam Herniation Level mild-moderated loss of height and decreased signal compatible w/ disc degeration.

I do realize this is a lot of information.  But I am thankful to know to a certain extent it just seems like it is just arthritis.  I kept thinking that this feeling is just not right, it must be cancer or a tumor, because the waves of pain or at times unbearable. I would like to know if this is how many disc it usually is for this disease or will all mine be affected?  What kind of approach should I expect the specailist take?  Or rather what would you do?  I do not know ANYTHING about this? Please help and direct me where to start off?  Thank you so much.
A referral to a neurosurgeon can be considered as the next step.  the MRI shows various areas of disc protrusion as well as an episode of herniation.  Options at this time can be conservative therapy, including epidural steroid injections, as well as physical therapy.

If conservative measures fail, surgical options can be discussed.

This option can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Had an anterior disc fusion at C5-6 contiue to have numbness and pain on right side( midline) now C6-7) there is posterior osteophytic ridging, with thining of the anterior surface of the thecal sac. I stay in chronic pain that effects my whole body and severe headaches with the neck pain.Please make some off the record ideals to relieve the pains.