Arthritis Community
Muscle Spasms in Inner Thighs

Muscle Spasms in Inner Thighs

Last night I performed in a liturgical dance recital (from 7 pm - 8:30 pm.  When I came home, I immediately soaked in a hot tub of water with epsom salt to relieve muscle pain (around 11 pm).  Around 12:30 in the morning, I awoke to (what I think was) a muscle spasm in my right inner thigh near the knee which quickly moved toward the groin area.  As I layed across the bed, I became immobilized by the excruciating pain.  I then began to sweat profusely, feel nauseated, heart racing and felt lightheaded as though I was losing consciousness.  Apparently, I did because when I opened my eyes, I found myself on the floor. The pain began to subside somewhat and just when I thought I was recovering, the entire episode began in my left inner thigh with the identical pattern.  After the final episode, the pain became somewhat manageable.  Any attempt to change the position in the way I was positioned in the bed caused an extremely painful reminder of what I had just experienced.  The entire episode lasted about 30 minutes.  By the time I was able to get to the telephone, most of the symptoms except for the pain had begun to diminish.  I considered calling EMS but with the sym[toms dissipating, I didn't think they would find anything wrong. Does this sound like a typical muscle spasm to you all?  Does this sound like it's related to fibromyalgia and/or rheumatoid? His anyone experienced anything like this?  Does any have any suggestions as to what my next steps should be?  
Thank you.  
Leila
My first reaction was to tell you to get to a doctor asap.  I do not recall ever experiencing a muscle spasm that caused me to pass out.  How have you been today?  At the very least I think you should tell your doctor what happened when you see him/her this week.  If this happens again, get help immediately.  If you have had any episodes or symptoms or strange things happening today I think you should get help pronto.  If you have access to a nurse line with your insurance company, call them.  Please let us know how you are.
Thank you for your advice.  I went to work today and at first I felt weak but no pain like what I experienced yesterday.  My doctor is out of town and the doctor answering his calls aksed mre some questions over the phone and then chalked my symptoms up to dehydration and told me to drink a lot of water and call my doctor when he returns.
I go to my pain management doctor tomorrow.  Iwill tell him about my experience.

Thank you.

Leila
I am soooo glad you called the doc.  I hope the pain doc has more insight but I guess dehydration is possible.  Hang in there and keep us posted!
I went to my Pain Management doctor today.  After listening to my entire story and looking at all of my blood work, he concluded that I have a connective tissue disease.  Which one, he's not able to pinpoint.(Mu Urea Nitrogen is high/Creatine is low/ AST & ALT is high/ C3 & C4 is very high/ CRP is high/ Rheumatoid Factor & ANA are in normal range).  He says he may never have a name for what is wrong with me, could be Fibro, RA, Lupus....... What he does know is thatit's time to treat the symptoms.  He's gave me a starter pack of Savella.  Said to take it at night only for the next five days with food to reduce the possibilities of side effects. Say a prayer for me.
Leila
This sounds like a move in the right direction.  Will be sending lots of positive thoughts your way!