My major joints are under attack
I am a 63 yesr old male.  Wtthin the past 4 years my hips and shoulders have gone from pain-free joints, to bone-on- bone  arthritic joints.   At the same time  I developed bilateral charcot fragmentation of the feet.  I had two total hip rreplacements ans am about to have a shoulder replacement. No one has suggested anything other than degenerative arthritis.  Should I test for Lymes disease or other possible causes?   .  
In the absence of fever and other flu-like symptoms along with the joint degeneration, my (non-medical!) guess is that it's not lyme disease, but osteoarthritis. Cartilage does its job really well until it wears thin and tears away, so it can seem like the pain and degeneration came on really fast when the damage has been progressing for years.

If you're really worried about it though, go ahead and ask your doctor for a blood test for lyme and/or RA.