Arthritis Expert Forum
Neck, Shoulder, Armpit and Breast Pain on Left Side

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

I am 39 years old Female, with high blood pressure, I take the following medicines Diovan Tabs 160 mg for high blood pressure, Fexofenadine hcl for allergies, singulair tabs for allergies.  I have seasonal allergies. I check my blood pressure every other day it is fine.  I get yearly checkups physicals - I am overweight and working on it by walking everyday.   Don't know if this has anything of what I am feeling right now but I will make a long story short.   In November 2006 went to the doctors for a ear pain and got antiobiotices for it.   Then in February 2007, got another ear infection went to the doctors because with the ear infection I had pain in all the sinus areas.  My shoulder will hurt on the left side when my sinus flare up because 10 years ago I had a car accident and I hurt my shoulder and then arthritis set in.  In March 2007, I started to have breast tenderness real bad mainly in the nipple area so I figured maybe menapause because I never had tenderness like this so I bought a menapause kit from store and came out negative and then I thought pregnancy so I took multiple pregancy tests all negative.    Then the tenderness went away so I didn't bother to go to the doctor.   Then a week later it started to feel pain in shoulder like muscle pain, and armpit pain like muscle pain, and the side of my breast like skin is stretching or nerve pain.  My neck and ear will hurt when I sneeze from the high pollen count.  It just feels like like muscle pain and I am thinking the worst like breast cancer, heart problems.   The breast is light red on left side but maybe because I touch it too much.  The pain comes and goes.

There is no history of breast cancer in my family and I do breast check every month and I don't feel any lumps or anything.  

I do have a scheduled doctors appointment next week for all these syptoms (symptoms).
If there is concern about breast cancer, a mammogram or ultrasound of the breast is needed.

Regarding the pain, you can consider an MRI to evaluate for a herniated disk leading to a pinched nerve.  Nerve conduction studies can be obtained if there is pain radiating down the arm.  

If the pain is in several joints, arthritis and various rheumatological diseases can be considered - an tests for an ANA level or rheumatoid factor can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, leftsided breast pain with shoulders and arm pain was started.