Arthritis Expert Forum
Neck and Right Arm Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Neck and Right Arm Pain

I am (was) a active 47 y/o male.  3 weeks ago I woke up with a neck so stiff I couldn't lift it off my pillow.  I have had this happen in the past and it would be back to normal in a couple of days.  Prior to this happening I had been experiencing pain in my right arm and in my neck.  The arm pain started about 3 months ago or so.  The neck has for many years not be very mobile.  I have for the past year been playing a lot tennis.  (Approximately 8 hour a week). I have always worked out 3 days a week doing both weight training and cardio.  (45 Min. Cardio/45 Min Weights).  Now since this pain has started 3 weeks ago I have not gone to the gym or played tennis.  I have switched to my left hand at work for using the mouse.  I have a desk job where I am sitting at a computer for 8 hours a day for the past 20 years.  This pain prevented had prevented me from getting any kind of sleep so I went to the doctor.  They first prescibed muscle relaxors and motrin that did nothing at all.  2 days later I went back and was prescibed 800 mg IV Profein.  That still did not do one thing for the pain.  Then I went and paid out of my pocket to see get accuputure.  This did not do anything, but they said I would probably need about 4 treatments in 2 weeks and they could get me back to 80%.  I did not want to spend all that money for a maybe, so I went back again to my PCP about 10 days ago and they prescibed vicodene and a 6 day regiment of steroids.  (Also x-rays were taken) The vicodine has helped with the pain to where I can sleep ok (not great), but it does not appear to be getting better.  I have made a appointment to see my doctor this coming Wednesday.  I was thinking Physical therapy would be the next treatment plan, but I don't know.  Anyone have any ideas on what to ask or request of my doctor.  Chiropratic Care, Accupunture, Physical Therapy, none of the above?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.  (I need to get back to my life).

Baja Scott
ask for an ergonomics evaluation at work

consider seeing a physiatrist or physical medicine and rehabilitation physician, they can see if you have symptoms consistent with disc disease and may need an MRI if you have numbness or weakness.
My son had similar problems with his neck and shoulder, and he is only 20 yrs. old.  What I did was I took him an orthopedic specialist.  He treated him conservatively with the muscle relaxers, etc.  By the third visit I demanded he do an MRI to find out what's going on.  He had an MRI on his neck and shoulder.  They found a torn ligament in his shoulder.

You really should get at the least, x-rays, but an MRI is better.  You need to know what's going on.  You could have torn something, or have a herniated or bulging disc in your neck.  The only way to tell is get tests.
A related discussion, Shoulder pain in muscel area was started.
A related discussion, shoulder blade pain was started.