Arthritis Community
Never had it before!

Never had it before!

Yesterday morning I woke up with intense pain in my right big toe.  I have never had this before, but I do have osteoarthritis (manageable pain).  I've been doing some reading and the only thing I can come up with is gout.  The toe and area surrounding it is just as painful today, and swollen.  I am frightened and should have gone to the doctor today.  Now I have to wait until Monday unless I go to the ER.  I'm taking Rx strength Motrin, but it doesn't seem to be doing much.  Does anyone know how long these first attacks last and what can be done to relieve the pain?

Gout is more common in men than in women. Women do get gout.  My brother has had it for quite some time. It is very painful , there are times when he can barely walk. He's on a special diet sort of a vegeterian diet, has to keep down his uric acid. If he does'nt stick to his diet he really suffers for it. I'm not sure if he takes prescription medication for the pain . I've only heard him say something  about tylenol. Do a check on Google for Gout and uric acid also diet. That may be helpful .  autoimmune arthritis and gout are the on types of arthritis I don't have. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!cat33