Arthritis Community
No RA Diagnosis but I know that is the problem

I have symmetrical pain and inflammation in my hands, knees and feet. My lower back feel like it's on fire most of the time. I have to drive my daughter 10 hours to college in a week and I'm terrified of the pain. This present situation has been going on since December and my husband just thinks I've turned into an incredible *****.. No one believes you can be in pain all of the time! IIf it's not RA, I  obviously have some kind of inflammatory arthritis ,but the Dr. wants me to go on Prolia.for my Osteoarthriitis. I understand that the osteo needs to be dealt with but that is not the issue that is ruining my quality of life. Why is it that the only time I have any energy is when I take phentermine. I've been looking for a diet doctor just so I can get relief from this arthritic malaise. There is something terribly wrong with this picture.How can I get my life back and a proper diagnosis?
Tags: ritalin, RA, lack of energy, symmetrical pain, diagnosis
You need to see your PCP and tell him/her that your in pain and something needs to be done about it, that your quality of life is suffering, your family life is suffering, etc. tell about everything. if the doctor isn't willing to help you, or doesn't know how to help you, then ask to be referred to a specialist. One thing that I'm wondering is why you feel the need to see a diet doctor to get your arthritis under control? You only have energy when you take the phentermine because your body is used to the dosage that you ingest. When the phentermine is wering off, your body feels that it needs more of it, and you feel sluggish, and out of energy. it's common for your body to become tolerant to medications. You must talk with your doctor about this also, as it's very important. no energy can be a very negative for your overall quality of life just like the pain is. See your doctor and let us know how you make out. Good luck.
           shinty  
I believe you need a referral to a rheumatologist, and go from there. I'm not sure how a diet doctor will help you...any reputable diet doctor would send you to a pain specialist or a rheumie, not try to treat your pain.

Get X-rays done to find out if there is any damage in the area or even in other areas in the body. Secondly, get an ultrasound of the whole abdomen done because many a times some problems with teh vital organs leads to pain or discomfort in other areas of the body which may otherwise many not be caught. Hope it helps.
Unfortunately, osteoarthritis, like any other type of arthritis has flare ups and then you feel a little better for a while and it can flare up again.

Ask your doctor to refer you to physiotherapy who can give you specific exercises to do so that you do not become too stiff.  Although rest is important, you still need to be active, but not to the point that you get exhausted.

Unless you have been told otherwise, a healthy balanced diet with fish, fruit and veg would be fine.  Cut out all junk foods, cakes, etc. fizzy pops and limit your intake of tea and coffee.  Drink at least 2-3 litres of water per day which is normally recommended, more if you sweat or workout.  Keep away from processed foods.

You may find wrist splints may help with giving support to your wrists and hands, insoles in your shoes for your feet problems.  Soak your feet each evening and dry them and raise your legs with a cushion under your feet.
For my arthritic knee problem, I was told by the physiotherapist to apply a cold compress and have been given some exercises to do and was recommended to take Amitriptyline.  This is an antidepressant that works to calm the nerves that run along the spinal column and leg pains.

Prolia (denosumab) is used to help in the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis for women at high risk of fractures.

Phentermine is an appetite suppressant that is used together with diet and exercise to treat obesity.

If you are overweight, losing some weight will make you feel better, but necessarily stop the arthritic pains.

Keep a food diary of what you consume and see if there is a pattern of what you have eat whether you feel worse.

Best wishes.
    The only thing I've seen about a diet for arthritis is to stay away from nightshades:  tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, and eggplant.  They have a tendency to aggravate arthritis, fibromyalgia and Lupus.
I just read an interesting article published by the Arthritis Foundation that lists which foods fight inflammation and which foods seem to trigger inflammation in some people. You can read it at http://www.arthritistoday.org/what-you-can-do/eating-well/index.php

I have both rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. I've been avoiding high-fat, high-sodium processed and fried foods, and eating more whole grains, beans, fiber, fruits, and veggies makes me feel better. And I've lost 10 lbs without even trying. Bonus!

Sue