Arthritis Community
Numbness in hands

Numbness in hands

Since 1 week I have been feeling the numbness in my hands and fingers while sleeping. When I try to lift my hand I am unable to do that. Sometimes getting mild pain even. What can it be? Can anybody help?
If you experience finger numbness, which is persistent, then you should consult your doctor at the earliest. The doctor may need information regarding your medical history, family history and nature of your job, for a correct diagnosis, which is very vital for the treatment. Treatment of the underlying cause along with physical therapy are helpful in curing the condition. The mode of treatment for numbness in fingers may vary from one patient to another, on the basis of the underlying cause.

Possible causes maybe circulatory (peripheral artery disease), orthopedic (carpal tunnel syndrome, nerve entrapment, cervical spondylosis), neurological (peripheral neuropathy, diabetic neuropathy) and many other possible conditions.

I hope this helps! Take care!
Can you let me know some of the stretching exercises that could help in reducing the numbness?
Extend you right arm out in front of your body with your elbow straight and your palm facing up. Bend your hand backward as far as you can and continue to pull it down and toward your body with your left hand. You should feel the stretch in your forearm. Hold the stretch for 15 to 30 seconds, relax and repeat five times. This exercise is effective if the numbness is related to carpal tunnel syndrome. If the symptoms worsen, stop doing the stretching exercise!

Massaging the fingers when immersed in a bowl of warm water is another way of reducing numbness. It improves blood circulation.

Either warm water or a paraffin bath. :)  You can try this at a nail salon and if you like it, you can get a unit pretty inexpensively at most drug stores or Wally World. :)