Arthritis Expert Forum
Numbness of right foot during exercise

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Numbness of right foot during exercise

I am a 23 year old male. I do not have diabetes and do not have a history of it in my family. When I exercise, that is run on the treadmill or play basketball, the right side of my foot and toes go to sleep or feel numb. This usually occurs after about 25-30 minutes of constant running. At first I thought it was something to do with my shoes, but I have sinced tried several pairs and it still does it. It usually takes about 5 minutes for the numbness to go away and then it's fine. I can even run more after the sensation goes away. It doesn't happen everytime I work out, but I can remember having this happen a long time ago (possibly 2 or 3 years).I asked my mother about this and she too sometimes has the problem. What could possibly cause this, and do I need to get it checked out?
Various causes of peripheral neuropathy can be considered.  

I would check blood tests for a metabolic panel as well as vitamin b-12 levels and a thyroid panel.  

Electrodiagnostic testing (i.e. an EMG) can be considered to look for any nerve damage.

Any muscle inflammation or injury can cause some compression of the nerve, leading to numbness.

I would consider a referral to a neurologist to discuss this testing.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
Yes friend, u probably have a nerve compression in low back region and that make this kind of numbness...
When u start to make some exercise and some moves with your spine, (rotation , probably) this compression increases..

If you do not present edems in inferior members and throbbing pain during rest put exercise, less bad .... but look for your doctor and carry out the necessary examinations....

Take care

PHD, PT. Mauricio Couto