OA finger knots
I have severe firo and OA The fibro has spread to my hands and fingers. I have hard knots on both sides of 1st joint on several fingers. they are there always but sometimes get bigger and hurt so bad I can't hold a pen o write or even bend the 1st joints. Rhuem dr said this is OA. Does anyone know if it will get worse or spread to other fingers? I do not take meds for OA due to medical conditions I have I can't take anti-inflamatories or advil, motrin, etc. Dr is not interested in discussing OA only fibro and I need answers.
Thank you.
Monkey1mill
My grandmother has OA in her fingers and developed what you are describing.  These nodes are caused by bonespurs.  I can tell you that, since hers finished forming, they have not gotten worse but they do cause restrictions in her movement.  I am not sure how long they take to form and could not find anything online.  I hope someone with direct experience will write back to you.
Bone spurs develop in OA because the support of fluid between the joints is degrading so the bone ends themselves start to grow to provide the support that is being lost.
That said, it "should" stop when there is enough support. Keep in mind though, I'm not a doctor, just someone with OA of the spine.
You can try getting some splints to help support the joints. I've also been told by someone who has OA in the knee that the supplements of glucosamine & chondrotin does help her with her OA. She went from being hardly able to walk to being mobile. I can't speak from experience since I haven't tried it myself yet. I've read it's suppose to help keep the fliuds between the joints more supple.

Hope this was helpful!
Hi, I'm new to this forum.  I have the hard knots on the 1st finger of my right hand.  I'm 52 and I've had them for about 10 years.  I've noticed recently that they are larger.  The knots don't seem to be developing on my other fingers

Sometimes they are very red, warm and are very painful.  Other times they aren't.  I take advil when they flair up and use heat.

I write with a "fat" pen  which seems to help keep the knots from hurting when I write.

I hope this helps.