Arthritis Community
Osteoathritics, Osteophytes and exercise

Hello to all,

I have done MRI last month and seems that I have osteophytes at the top of my left hip, that is caused by Osteoarthritis. The problem is that i had the pain for almost a year, however the doctor did not notice anything and sent me for physiotherapy... Now i decided to do x-rays and mri with the results above shown.

I used to be very active – from 10 years old playing soccer and basketball, now I am (or rather was) playing soccer in a team. The last 4 years I was doing a lot of cycling and playing tennis too. However the doctor told me to try and stop these and only do some swimming and light walking.

I am feeling that I cannot do much now and I want an opinion from an expert. I started going to gym , which has also a pool, thus I go one hour for weight training and one hour to the pool.

However is cycling ok for what I have? Or can I still do? Of course as i understand i have to stop soccer and tennis...

The doctor just said: “swimming is good, some light walking, and lose weight”…

Thank you in advance and i hope i was clear.

Haris Eliades
(I am from Cyprus, and is strange that the Greek words are: for Osteoathritics= Osteo-athritida, Osteophytes= Osteo-Fita, which each word actually is two words combined)
Tags: going to the gym, osteophytes, osteophyte, exercises, Exercise, swimming and going to the gym, gym and cycling
Hello!
I have osteoarthirtis in my low back, with bone spurs as well. In my research I read that bike riding is okay because you lean forward which takes pressure off the arthritis. The best person to ask about that would be your Physical Therapist. They can determine what level of activity is best for you based off your personal synptoms.
Good Luck!
D.
I have osteoarthritis and I have swelling on , knees so I cannot ride bike, not even stationary for it aggravates the joint. They say water aerobics. I cannot do treadmill either and I just keep getting fatter it is a vicious circle.
Ok thanks for the replies!

Well, I suppose each case is different… I have a problem at the top of the hip joint, thus I am not sure on whether cycling would be ok…

Well, I have to get used of this pretty soon…