Arthritis Community
Pain in MCP Joint

Pain in MCP Joint

Posting this here because I'm not sure where else it would go.  I have had severe pain and limited range of motion in the MCP joint of my right thumb for several months.  I do not remember injuring it, and have been conservative with activities that may aggrivate it (ie texting).  Finally went to a doctor and he told me it was a form of tendonitis (that interestingly enough, after some research, affects the basal joint and not the MCP joint).  He gave me topical steroids and that was all.  I went back later and he splinted it.  After two days in a splint (which didn't fit properly), I experienced significant pain on the outside of my wrist.  I've stopped wearing the splint, but now the doctor wants to get an MRI.  I'm all about conservative diagnostics/treatment, but this is getting expensive.  Is it time to find a specialist?
Talk to your doctor about the cost and see if an xray might give you the same answer.  It is likely your doctor needs more information in order to give you a referral.
I wasted years with an orthopedic treating my MCP joint with coritsone injections and Vicodin.  I finally went to a hand surgeon.  Long, long story short, had the joint replaced, giant failure, nine more surgeries and the pain is worse than ever.  I have essentially no function with that hand now.

Find a top-notch doctor/surgeon and find out your options and research them.  My doctor was terrific; unfortunately, the implant used failed across the board.

Good luck.