Arthritis Expert Forum
Pain in knees, feet, hands

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Pain in knees, feet, hands

I am 16 years old. I have these reocurring pains in my hands, feet, and knees. They don't hurt all the time, and not all at once. Just every now and then one hand or one knee, etc. will start hurting and usually won't stop until I take a pain reliever for it. There's no swelling or anything. It is apparently genetic because my mother and her father both have it. I don't know if it's some sort of arthritis or what, but no doctor has ever been able to tell us what it is. I was wondering if anyone might have any ideas?
Tags: Pain, Knee, hand, feet
If your parents have it, i'd wonder about an inherited autoimmune problem like Rheumatoid arthritis.  A rheumatologist is definitely a good person to ask about this.
I would say osteoarthritis, but since you are so young it might be the start of Rheumatoid Arthritis.  A doctor can test you for it, either an orthopedist or rheumatologist.  It might be worth going.
Thanks to both of you for your help.  I'll do some research on Rheumatoid Arthritis and see what I can learn.

I guess I should have also mentioned earlier that my mother and I have both had this problem all of our lives, so it's nothing that has just developed recently for me. There's no stiffness and I don't have any of the other symptoms of RA. But, I have no idea of any other explanation, so, like I said, I'll just have to do some more research.

Thanks again! If anyone has any more ideas please let me know.