Arthritis Community
Pain in my jaw

Pain in my jaw

My jaw has been acting up for years. there are days where it really hurts, and it actually locks and cracks when I open it. I was told it couild be TMJ and an orthadontist told me once, that my jaw was too small. Now I was just wondering what it could be. Not much takes away the pain tylonal only works for a couple hours and I've used joint cream which only works for a small amount of time. When it hurts, it creates large headaches that sometimes make me lightheaded. I was wondering if anyone would recomend anything to help it. Or if I should talk to my dentist or a TMJ sepcialist to see if they can surgically fix it, I was told all they can do is break it and hope it mends so that it fits properly. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on what it could be and how I can ease the pain.
I had that problem for a long time because of grinding and clenching my teeth in my sleep so my dentist made me a mouth guard to wear at night. It helped a lot and I wore it until my wisdom teeth shifted my other teeth and it did not fit anymore. If you have medical coverage I would suggest trying it, if not, try just buying a normal sports guard, it would essentially do the same thing.
As Maggs87 mentioned a mouth guard is the usual first line of treatment.  I used one for a while but for me it did the reverse, I continually clenched on it.  I have had success with massage therapy but have had it almost disappear now that I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and take Lyrica.  It and the massages has been fantastic.
I have had TMJ since diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in Oct of 09. My dentist made me a special guard for lower teeth I wear every night. It has helped me a great deal. Was expensive but worth every penny.