Painful OA in ring finger
I'm 74 y/o and have had osteoarthritis in my fingers of both hands for many years.  Right hand ring finger swelled up at the middle knuckle with lots of pain when cutting things with a knife, shaking hands, unscrewing lids.  The pain is on the sides of the knuckle, not the top, so that would seem to rule out a tendon problem.  
Ibuprofen or Tylenol don't seem to be of much help.   Is there any procedure to relieve the pain, I'd rather not get into narcotic type pain meds?  
   Hi.  My Mom has OA in her hands also.  She takes apple cider every morning and several supplements to help with the pain.  Milk thistle, Cod liver oil, MSM, Grapeseed, Flaxseed, and Primrose.
     She says she can't do without them.

Hope they help you, too.
Wishing you the best
Hi there!

Have you had your hands x-rayed to check for bone spurs? I've had RA in my hands most of my life and lived with the annoyance and deformity of the prominent spurs on my right ring finger until one day it got so bad that the tendon started snapping back and forth across it when I'd bend my finger. Now, I consider myself a tough cookie, but this was bring-me-to-tears agony. A simple surgery to remove the bone spur, performed by an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hands, worked very well. I would urge you to see a hand specialist to see if there's anything he or she can do to help you.

You might also try paraffin wax dips. They're very soothing and can be done at home with the right equipment.