Arthritis Community
Paravertebral Cystic Lesion - Would it cuase pain?

I am a 46 year old male with ankylosing spondylitis. I recenty had an MRI and it showed something called paravertebral cystic lesion, possibly a cystic schwannoma, in the 9th intercostal space. 1.4 cm. Is that something that could cause back pain? I have some moderate back pain and I am wondering if this may be the cause.
Hey Sean, welcome to the forum.

So you probably have a benign tumor of the nerve sheath,located along or besides the vertebral column. Of course it is likely to cause some back pain.
Can you find out from the radiologist or neurologist  the exact location?
It's not a huge cyst by any means, but again it's how it impacts the nerve by compressing it that is more important than the size. Where you given any options for treatment, like surgery to remove it or radiation/ chemo to shrink it if surgery is not an option?  
And do you know whether it's progressive or not?
If the pain is moderate, perhaps holistic pain management would be a better and safer alternative. Look into Dr. John Sarno's work on Back Pain.
he's written many books on this subject and you can access a 7 part video
interview on YouTube. he's become quite an authority in this field with his
approach.
Let me know what you think.
How are you managing with your ankylosing spondylitis? That's a nasty form of arthritis.
Hyalronic Acid( HA) levels are usually low with sufferers of FMS, AS, RA etc. or  levels of Hyaluronidase (the enzyme that breaks down HA) are low,
affecting the  Haylronic Acid's viscosity.
HA's role is lubricating, feeding and cleaning your cellular system and if it's too thick, it's functions are impaired, thus causing many symptoms associated with  FMS, AS, RA. You should look into it.
Carbohydrates are also major contributors of inflammation, the simpler
they are the worse the effects.
Coconut oil (extra virgin organic-EVCO) has been a life saver for myself and my family. We have replaced ALL cooking oils-as they are pro-inflammatory when heated-even olive oil-  with EVCO ,which does not alter with heat.
We also do oil pulling with it daily, to rid our oral cavities from billions of toxins and harmful bacteria.
Just visit the coconut research center website for more details.
I don't want to bombard you with suggestions, but if you need more
holistic recommendations, just post again or pm me directly.

Take care,
Niko