Arthritis Community
Perthes and Osteoathritis

Perthes and Osteoathritis

I had perthes as a child. I was only small so can't really remember anything about it. I am now 42 years old and I have got severe pain in my right hip. I have read that as I had perthes there is a very high risk of me developing osteoathrits. The pain I am experiencing has come on gradually over the last year and a half and getting worse. The pain seem to be deep inside my right buttock and down my right thigh sometimes in my groin. I am in constant pain walking, driving, sitting, going up the stairs and standing make it worse. When I am in bed at night I wake up quite a lot with the pain and have to move, when I move my hip seems to crack and the pain subsides.  I was at the hospital on Friday for a hip injection and walking test along with x-rays. Does this sound like the onset of osteoathritis or something else.
It could be, or it could be a disk problem causing radiating pain on your sciatic nerve.
The xrays will show if it's arthritis, but may not show disk bulging.
Well I was at the hospital on Wednesday. I have osteoathritis and have to get a hip replacement operation done. I hope I don't have to wait to long as the pain seems to be getting worse.
I am glad you went in and that you got back to us.  We always wonder how things turned out.  I am sorry you will have to have a hip replacement, but my step-father-in-law had one and he now goes out dancing regularly and walks 2-4 miles a day.  He is the posterchild for hip replacements.  I hope that will be your experience as well.  In the mean time, how are they treating you?
The Doctor I went to see refused to do hip replacement surgery he said in his opinion i don't need this surgery. I have now been refered for hip scope surgery. Does anyone know why I would need this done. The pain has not gotten any better infact it is probable worse.
Do you mean he wants to do arthroscopic surgery on your hip?  That could indicate that he thinks there is something he can do to help you without replacing the entire joint.  If that is the case, that can be a good thing.  If you are comfortable calling his office to get more info on what he plans to do, I think you should.  If not, I'd suggest getting a second opinion.
I have an appoitment on the 20th of August to see the other surgeon about hip scope operation. I am off work just now as the pain is so severe. I have been reffered to the phisio also to get a walking stick to see if this will help me with my walking.
Glad the appt is made.  4 weeks to go.  I know it must feel like forever.  Are you on short term?  I have an assortment of canes that I use as I need to do so.  My favorite is a fold up from Hugo.  I can carry it in my purse and use it when I need it.  Hang in there!  
I went to my appointment and the doctor has found somthing on my xray that should not be there. What ever it is it has been there on my last three xrays but was never picked up. This has got me really worried now because of the questions the doctor was asking me.  I have to go for a MRI on thursday.
Hi I got the results of my MRI all clear thank god. I have now been refered back to the surgeon I seen in April the same surgeon who refered me for a hip replacment in the first place. I am so angry with the NHS at the moment.
I bet you are!  Nothing worse than going in circles.  Is there any way you can see a different surgeon?  
I have to wait to see what the surgeon says first. I have made a formal complaint about the way I have been treated through my MSP.  I have not heard anything about this yet the NHS is so slow. I am now unable to go to my work anymore as the pain is so severe. I feel they are giving me the run around. X
I am glad you are complaining.  Sometimes you have to fight to get the treatment you need.  It is hard because you just don't feel like you have the strength to do the most basic things and you need to keep your stress level low, but here they go, forcing you to exert energy you don't have to get what should be given easily.  I am so sorry you are having to endure this.  For what it is worth, it is no better state-side.  We pay for the insurance and pay the docs and still have find ourselves in similar situations, fighting to get treated.  Hang in there and keep us posted.
I will do thanx very much for your support. x
Hi, Ive got my appointment to go and see surgeon on the 15th October so finger crossed I will get something done this time. x
Hi latest news is i am still waiting. In my surgeons opinion i need a hip replacement but as 2 other surgeons have said no his hands are tied. I have to go back in 8 weeks to see him again.

Lynda x
Glad the doc is listening to you but hate to hear that his opinion is overridden by the 2 previous docs.  Is there any recourse through the NHS?  Any way to have your case reviewed?  I know that may take some time, but you already have to wait 8 weeks to see the doc again.  Keep being squeaky and you are bound to get some oil!  :)
Hello to everyone, I was diagnosed with Perthes at the age of 9, had surgery, and then was diagnosed again at 13, but by the time doctors realized it was Perthes again mi hip was in a very bad shape. My left hip doesn't bother me that much now that i'm 24, but the right one (diagnosed later) aches a lot. I would like some advice on dealing with the pain, doctors have told me to take painkilers but i don't do it because i'm afraid i would develop some kind of dependency. Right now i am seated and it hurts. Any advice? should i buy a cushion?