Arthritis Community
Polymyalgia Rheumatica - PMR Pain

Polymyalgia Rheumatica - PMR Pain

I am 40 years old and have PMR.  It has just been 2 years since I was diagnosed and I don't seem to have any signs of this going away.  Can anyone tell me if this really does go away after 2-3 years?  In addition I've been having extreme pain in my mid back, seems to radiate up and down my spine, but is generally based in the middle near my ribs, and across my shoulders.  This is much worse at night and when I lay down, very tough to get a good night's sleep.  Seems to get a bit better as the day goes on.  The medications I take for the PMR, don't seem to help this condition, and my Rheumatologist says this has nothing to do with the PMR.  I take 2400 mg of Ibuprofen a day, and 6 mg of Prednisone.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I've had both an MRI and an X-ray and they were both normal.  I have had this pain for about 6 months and it's really starting to affect my life!  Thank you!
My dad was diagnosed with PMR March of 2006- he still has it... They tested him for everything... finally I think they just picked PMR because nothing else made sense... I don't think that is really infact what he has... Is this what happened with you?
He has been on Prendisone since 06, so so so bad to take that every day... are you on it as well?

I'd love to know how you are feeling, and if you've found anything to relieve the pain so I could pass it along to my dad.. let me know.. hope you are feeling better!!
This information on the Mayo Clinic site might be helpful. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/polymyalgia-rheumatica/DS00441

As with most auto-immune disorders, it is not well understood, there is no known cure, there is only long-term management of symptoms. It may go into remission on its own but there is no guarantee. Sorry I can't be more optimistic about it going away, but there is help for the symptoms. Sometimes it takes finding the right doctor.
Thank you for your information.  Yes, I was tested for everything before being diagnosed with PMR.  And, I agree, although I think that was the last resort diagnosis, I do truly believe I fit the symptoms.  I am still on prednisone, nothing else seems to work.  The highest dose has only been 10 mg and right now the lowest I can seem to get to is 7.5 mg.  But, I definitely have some days that are better than others.  Good luck to your dad!!  He's had it a long time, I'm hoping for this to go away soon!!
Thank you for the information, I appreciate you passing it along!  So far, I like my doctor, but I may decide it's time for a second opinion at some point.
You're welcome. :)  10 mg of prednisone isn't too high of a dose, however if that's the only thing that works for you my advice would be to get a baseline DXA (dexa) scan to measure your bone density, and have it repeated once a year to make sure you're not slipping into osteopenia/osteoporosis. Also get x-rays of your hips and shoulders; long-term use of prednisone can cause what's called avascular necrosis, or bone death, which usually affects the largest joints first. Not to scare you, just so you're aware so you don't end up like me, on Fosamax and with two hips that had to be replaced. (I probably would have had to have them replaced at some point anyway, but AVN accellerated the timeline a few years.)

Hang in there!