Arthritis Expert Forum
Positive RA/Positive ANA

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Positive RA/Positive ANA

Hi!!  Very worried....RA =24, ANA=1:640 (diffuse)...I was just dx. with Hypothyroidism ... my endo tested for alot of stuff and these ++ results came back.  What should I think??  I got an appt. with a Rheumatoid Doc in May....but that's 6 weeks away. I'm 40, S/P hysterectomy, colon resection for diverticulitis and now the hypothyroidism...that's about it.  I have had a ++ CRP for quite some time could that be related to the RA/ANA results??  And, could the RA/ ANA results be from the hypothyroidism...Hashimotos's??  Also @ age 24 I had Lyme's was treated with IV antibiotics and did great...could this be latent Lyme's??  I do have fatigue and body aches but no redness or swelling and no s/s of Lupus...what else could these results mean?? Or, could it be nothing?? I'm just so worried now.  Thanks,  Jen in NJ  
A rheumatology referral is the appropriate next step.  The positive RA and ANA level strongly suggests a rheumatologic process (i.e. rheumatoid arthritis, lupus etc.).  

Yes, an elevated CRP is consistent with the lab results and is suggestive of an inflammatory process.

Lyme is possible, but less likely - if this is suspected, obtaining blood tests to confirm is recommended.  

Rheumatologic disease can have a varying presentation, and thus can present with or without the characteristic rash.

Follow up with the rheumatologist is recommended.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I noted that you have had Lyme in the past. I am now, according to my doctors, "CURED" of Lyme. Having said that I will tell you my story in as few sentences as possible.
In the 80"s I had been to 31 doctors with all the synmptoms we now know are Lyme.I was not diagnosed for almost 8 years.(it was 'all in my head" I was told)  I had IV therapy three separate times. I was, as I stated, pronounced cured. Negative tests.
Fast forward to taday: I have been diagnosed, in the past few years with: Sick Sinus Synrome, Epstein Barr, Sleep Apnea, Panic Disorder, Fibromyalgia, (I could keep going but I promised in as few sentences as possible) and now, da da dah!!!!!!!!!!!Rheumatoid arthritis!!!
Please.  I do not, I will not, I can not ever believe another doctor again when they tell me that all the problems I am, and have been, experiencing are not due to that bout I had with Lyme.  My lyme was late stage, I have permanent damage and I still feel today as I did in the 80's, like I still have Lyme disease.
I firmly believe that after my death, at autopsy, they will find spirochettes in my body.
Please go on the RA forums and read about this antibiotic therapy that a doctor has advocated for RA.  I  have tried to present this idea to my physician but he doesn't believe in it.  I may be changing physicians.
I am tired, I am ill and I have been for years.  I feel as if I still have Lyme and when I saw your post and your question about RA it just jumped out at me.
Easy for them to say they don't think so and what good would testing do?  Your lyme tests will be negative now anyway.
Please, investigate on your own and take charge of your health care.Good luck and go on those RA forums, they really help.  Lorraine
Hello I recently had a postive rheumatoid factor test it was 20 what does this mean.My Dr. has set up an consultation at a rheumatoid clinic for further testing.

I am 27 years old and 8 weeks pregnant. For about 5 months I have complained of achiness in my legs and about 3 weeks ago I know have it in my arms as well.Along with the new pain in my arm I sometime feel sharp pains in my theigh that only last for a short second.

About 9 months ago my husband and I moved to Germany a lot of people says it has to do with the climate here but I am unsure.

Please help

Coretta Parks