ARTHRITIS
FORUM
Postive ANA Profile
by jenmac, Apr 09, 2007
Hi!! I wrote a note a few weeks ago, I had an ANA 1:640, with postive RA factor=24...I went to the RA doc who examined me and stated that he though my fatigue and body aches were due to hypothyroidism which I am being treated for at present...but he did do an ANA profile on me.  My ANA 1:640 (homogeneous)(this is the second time) Anti SSA = Postive and so did my Complement C3 =204....my RA doc says this means nothing but to come back in 3 months for more blooodwork...do these postive results mean nothing...how can all these postive results  mean nothing???  He says it could all be false positives...I'm scared!!!  I know that Anti-SSA is a test for Soegren's but my eyes and mouth are fine....I just have fatigue and body aches...BAD!!!  Any input would be great???  Jen
Answer:
by Kevin Pho, MDBlank, Apr 10, 2007
Positive ANA and SSA antibodies can be found most commonly in Sjogren's syndrome and lupus.  With a moderately elevated ANA level and the presence of the SSA, further evaluation can be done to rule out these disorders.  

A Shirmer test can be considered to rule out Sjogren's.  Obtaining anti-dsDNA and anti-Sm antibodies can also be obtained to evaluate for lupus.

Obtaining a second rheumatology opinion, preferably at a major academic medical center, should be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
by momfriend, Apr 26, 2007
One thing I noticed was that you mentioned your Dr wanted to follow up in 3 months, and I wondered if your doctor wants to see how you do in these three months, since it is not too far away, and it could help her/him with the diagnosis. I think its possible it takes a long time for some problems to develop, if it is a chronic autoimmune disorder, or perhaps it is not a chronic thing but a passing thing.

I had my first ANA test 4 years ago (negative) when I suddenly developed red sores on my toes and it was decided it was caused by Raynauds which can affect my toes and even my feet can get all patchy gray and blue when cold. Lots of people get Raynauds, but I was over 40 and never had it or many problems at all before, and it can be associated with autoimmune disorders.  Over the years, neurologist (brain mass f/u, migraines, paresthesias) as well as rheumatologist (Reynauds & aches & pains), have  have periodically retested, and after 4 years, my ANA was moderately positive last Fall  at 1:400, I discovered by getting copies of lab results. I am not sure my general practitioner got the results, but will ask at my next physical if it might be significant & should there be follow-ups and what should they be given my problems.

If I understand right, Kevin noted that sjogrens & lupus are most common reason for an ANA positive like this, but I wonder what the long list is (I have heard it can be positive from many many things, including some tumors, MS, sceroderma, reaction to environmental toxins & viruses...but am not sure of the credibility of all suggestions)...and wondered when you said hypothryroid, if that could be part of a bigger syndrome you might have or that is developing, or if that can cause positive ANA itself. I can empathize in knowing something is amiss and not knowing exactly what it is, and if you could be doing something better about it if you knew what it was.
by TomzGirl, Jul 17, 2008
A related discussion, Positive ANA Screen was started.