Arthritis Community
Postive ANAChoice Screen

Postive ANAChoice Screen

I recently went to the eye dr with my 3rd viral eye infection this yr.  The opto suggested that I go tested for rheumatoid arthritis.  I tested negative for lymes disease.  I did have a postive anachoice screen w/refl ifa.   I also had a ana titer and patter - anti-nuclear ab titer ana pattern of 1.40.  (1.80 elevated antibody level)  My rheumatoid factor is 7 and c-reactive is 0.4.  I have some pain and stiffness in my knees.  And sometime feel stiff in my back.  I am 35 yr old male in reasonablly good health.  I also get chronic sinus infections (4-5 a yr).   What can this test suggest and where do I go from here.  Just a little concerned
Hello there and welcome.  I pulled this info about the ANA test for you.  

The ANA test identifies the presence of antinuclear antibodies (ANA) in the blood. ANA is a group of special antibodies produced by a patient’s immune system when it fails to adequately distinguish between “self” and “nonself." These autoantibodies attack the body’s own cells, causing signs and symptoms such as tissue and organ inflammation, joint and muscle pain, and fatigue. The presence of ANA is a marker of an autoimmune process and is associated with several autoimmune disorders but is most commonly seen in the autoimmune disorder systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).ANA shows up on indirect immunofluorescence as fluorescent patterns in cells that are fixed to a slide that is evaluated under a microscope. Different patterns are associated with a variety of autoimmune disorders. Some of the more common patterns include:

Homogenous (diffuse) - associated with SLE and mixed connective tissue disease
Speckled - associated with SLE, Sjogren’s syndrome, scleroderma, polymyositis, rheumatoid arthritis, and mixed connective tissue disease
Nucleolar - associated with scleroderma and polymyositis
Outline pattern (peripheral) -associated with SLE

I hope this info helps some.  Did they say what kind of pattern you have?  I hope that you will seeing a rheumatologist to help you with this.  I like to call them Rock Stars of Medicine.  Good luck to ya and please keep us posted.

Spastic

I believe it was nucleolar
Ask your Dr. about the possibility of Reiters Syndrome aka Reactive Arthritis,  Also find out if they tested you for the HLA-B27 gene.   The eye infection is one symptom of ReA.  Look it up on the Arthritis Foundations website or Mayo Clinic's site and see if relates to any of your symptoms.  Best of luck to you.

S.
I have been diagosed with Ankylosying Spondylitis and Fibermyalgia (fibromyalgia) and Sjorgens Syndrome all in the last 3 or 4 years..I have the HLA-B27 Gene passed from my father to me...I have cronic (chronic) eye infections..i take Enbrel sots once a week they have helped some, but still pain..Any opinions on something else that could be helpful  to bring up to my RA Doctor in the next week or so? Good Luck All!
djamdajsmommy
Hello, are you taking any other meds with the enbrel?  I have AS, RA and mild sjogrens and my doc has me on plaquenil and methotrexate and, if my back is not better in 8 weeks, he will add enbrel or humira.  Sometimes the best results come from a combination of these drugs.
Finally got an appointment and went to the rheumatologist.  She didnt say much. Just did more blood work and urinalyist.  One thing I did find out is the rash I have had on my leg for the last 3 years is psyrois  (not excyma like my primary said).  Thanks for all the help.  Will keep you updated
Because you mentioned psoriasis, have they checked you for psoriatic arthritis or one of the other spondylotharapies such as ankylosing spondylitis?  AS is associated with eye problems.
Got my blood test back today.   It again tested the follwoing:  Anachoice screen - positive,   ANA Titer - Ana pattern 1:40 and PTT-La Screen 46 (high)  I dont see the rheumatologist until September.  Any one know if these test are leaning towards lupus?  I ideas or thoughts of what these results can mean?   Thanks for all the responses so far. Everyone has been a great help.  
TX, and myself  have AS, please ask your doctor for copies of all your blood work, and ask specifically if they tested you for the HLA-B27 gene.  As TX pointed out psoriatic arthritis is also one of the 100 types of arthritis there are.  It is important to be your own advocate, make the doctor give you some kind of answers or at least what he/she thinks some of the tests point to.  I went to 3 well respected doctors and was told I had chronic poly arthritis which means they didn't have a clue what was wrong with me.   I was finally properly dx with Ankoylosing Spondylitis and Reactive Arthritis.   I am now on Enbrel which took about 14 weeks to start working,  I cannot tolerate MX or Plaq. so I take only the Enbrel, and so far so good.  Morning pain and stiffness not gone completely but it has made a big difference.   Don't give up seeking answers and keep writing us. We will hep you as best we can.

Sue
smittygirl
A Nucleolar ANA pattern can be caused by Mercury poisoning from silver amalgams in your mouth, or just by your diet if you are sensitive to Mercury. I know because I have been suffering for 8 years and was told I either had Scleroderma or Lupus, but nothing fit. I am an attorney so I spent countless hours researching what could be causing my illness and sure enough, I came across several medical journal articles about rats exposed to low levels of mercury who developed systemic illnesses and displayed the Nucleolar ANA pattern. I have since had my Mercury fillings removed and have started a detox program. I am now back on the path to good health! My primary doctor and rheumatologist could not help me. I had to go see an "Integrative Medicine" M.D. and a biological/holistic dentist. One more thing--people that display the homogeneous pattern can be suffering from Mercury poisoning too.

I myself have recurring eye infections and joint pain and I was just dx with Sjogrens and RA after going years with test after test. I finally know and I hope you find out something from your lab work soon. Take care and write anytime. Everyone here is very kind and always willing to lend a shoulder, they have for me when I have needed a friend.

I have been going back and forth to the rheumo and opto with no results.  I again have another infection in my right eye.  Does anyone know of any good optomoligst that are rheumotoligst also.