Arthritis Expert Forum
Prednisone and Multiple Muscle Back Pain when tapered off

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

I am posting this in the lupus forum as I know that lupus patients take prednisone. I have been on prednisone for about two years I started at 25 mg a day and the last 8 months down to about 10 then 5 for a few months and then 2.5 for a month finally off of it for the last 3 months.

When I tried to quit taking prednisone after a year I got significant low back pain in my lower muscles. I started it up again and it went away yet the muscle was still weak. A year later I finally got off of prednisone for good yet I have 6 trigger areas in my back upper, lower and middle were the ligaments of the muscles flare up on both sides of the spine. I am almost sure that this is prednisone related. I was wondering if prednisone caused this kind of problem with inflamation (inflammation) of ligaments during withdrawal. I know that it is not a bone problem. How long will it take to reverse or will it reverse? I't is going on three months off of the pred and having significant back muscle pain, the pain has gotten better yet it has cost me all my sick time and is still significant...

Any input would be helpful

Thanks in advance
jb
I am not aware of the withdrawal of prednisone leading to trigger points.  

You can have these trigger points inject for pain relief.  This can be done with lidocaine or marcaine.  Physical therapy can also help.  

Another option would be a referral to a physiatrist (rehabilitation MD) to discuss the possibility of a trigger point injection or further pain management option.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I was told Prednisone and other cortisteroids cause necrosis in muscles and bones, so they are terrible long term. Just reading the warnings on the package at the pharmacy are intense.I wanted a few more weeks on them because they helped the pain a lot, and the inflamation (inflammation) was greatly reduced, but my doc said it would destroy tissue, and he would not let that happen on his watch. As soon as you get off them, you start falling apart. Two years is a long time to be on such a hardcore drug. I'd mention it to your primary care and see what he or she thinks.Second opinions are great, at least to give you peace of mind.