Arthritis Community
RA and Fibro

RA and Fibro

Is there anypne here who has been diagnosed with both RA and Fibromyalgia?  What treatments have been successful for you.  Was started on Methotrexate in the SPring and it didn't do a thing except make my hair fall out and irritate my stomach, so I stopped taking it.  Other pain relievers make me more tired than I already am and almost unable to function.  I'm a 51 yo Assistant Principal of a NYC elementary school.  Right now, retiremement is not an option and I'm trying not to go on a leave.  My job won't wait for me, besides which I don't want to bail out on the children or the staff right now.  Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Leila
I was diagnosed first with FMS then they changed it to RA and several other conditions.  It took me ages to start to function again.  I took MTX for almost a year.  I am able to function now but it took 2 years to get back to a relatively normal level of functioning.  I now take plaquenil, relafen, darvocet and zanaflex during the day and flexeril at night.  
Have you tried Lyrica?  I have heard mixed reviews from FMS patients on it but I think it is worth a try.  Another consideration might be something like Vyvanse to keep you functional during the day.  I tried it but was too sensitive to it and had to stop.
I think the biggest trick to getting through everything for me was learning to pick and choose where I spent the little energy I had.  I cannot imagine how demanding your job must be and I hope you find a way to get through this.  Talk to your doctor about the challenges you are facing and see what suggestions he/she may have.  Hang in there and keep us posted.
Thank you for your response.  I'm researching all these meds so I can talk to my rheumatologist next week. I emailed her to let her know that the MXT was not good for me and if she would be willing to consider some other medications.  I saw a Physiatrist for a Physical Therapy evaluation and she offered me a sample pack of Placquenil but II ended up returning ti to her before leaving the office because I didn't feel like I would take it and I didn't want to keep it from another patient.  Do you go to a rheumatologist or a pain management doctor?  My Rheum keeps suggesting that I go to the Pain Manag dr.  What do you think?
Leila
I have both and to add to it I have anemia. with a bleeding ulcer. The highest iron level is a 9. Does goes lower.I don't know how you are making it. two years ago I had to face that same  decision and my rheumatologist told me it was best for me to retire. Now I am not better but able to have conrol of my pain since I am not working.If my day call for very little activites then that is what I do. If I am having a good day then I do things. I am also on placquenil, darvocet, lortab, flexeril and lyrica. I use my lyrica according to my pain level because of the side effects of increase appetite and weight gain. Having rheumatoid you surely don't want to be heavy.
Taking an early medical retirement was not so bad. I have more money now than I did when I was working. When working you seems to keep putting yourself in more bills. I say go for it and enjoy the rest of your life. You can always volunteer at the school  on your good days if you miss the children .

I see a rheumy but I use to have a pain doc.  The scripts I currently take are ones my rheumy feels comfortable writing for me.  I think that if you needed something more or your doc did not feel comfortable writing scripts for those meds, a pain doc is an excellent option.  I would have one now but my rheumy's pain doc only handles acute pain, not chronic pain.  It's very odd but so far has not been a problem.  Please let us know how your appt goes and what meds/solution is set as the plan for you.
Lyrica and Methotrxate did not help me for both RA and Fibro, but I know of some others that it has helped. Also there is a new drug approved for Fibro called Sevella, maybe you could try this. You should try Plaquenil and any other drug the doctors offer. It takes many trials of differnet drugs to find the right combination and correct cocktail that will work. Oh yea and ALOT of patiences. I have gone through several this year and still trying. Right now I am on Cellcept 1000mg 2X a day. I have been on this for 2 months now and it has worked better than anything I have been on this past year and a half.
Let me guess, you have itching also. Mainly the back and top of your head?
And you get exhausted and of of breath easy?
tired a lot?
Even tired eyes from reading for a while?
Right?