Arthritis Expert Forum
Serum Sickness due to levaquin?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Serum Sickness due to levaquin?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  I am a previously very healthy, happily married physically fit 39 year old female.   My only previous health condition was a head injury in 2001 (Car accident) which resulted in post concussive syndrome and traumatic labyrinthitis.   The labyrinthitis would flare a couple times a year and then would subside, usually last only a week or so.   Positional vertigo and ringing in my ears.
I had a flare of labyrinthitis on April 12th.  I saw a new ENT who thought I may have had a sinus infection contributing to the labyrinthitis and he prescribed 500 mgs. of levaquin per day for 10 days.  I was pretty dizzy before starting the levaquin and was staying in bed until it passed.   A few days after starting the levaquin, I noticed that my calf muscles were cramping, I could not sleep.   I also started having horrible nightmares.   The muscle cramping/spasms later moved up my back and into my arms.  I also had a rash that appeared to be small red hard bumps along with spots that looked like tiny broken blood vessles.  I began to have tremors to the point that my thumb was moving all by itself.  My heart was racing and I had chest pain.  I stopped taking the levaquin on April 27th and presented to the Cleveland Clinic ER.   The said I was having an adverse reaction to the levaquin, to go home, drink lots of water and it should pass.  It has not passed.  The tremors, sleeplessness and extreme burning pain has subsided but my muscles are now very sore.   I have seen a rheumatologist, a neurologist, a dermatologist, an allergist and an internist.   They all believe that the levaquin is the culprit but have not really offered any type of treatment except drink lots of water.   I did have an ER doc indicate that he believed it was Serum Sickness.  A have recently undergone an MRI to rule out MS it was negative, also had a stress test also negative.   All of my blood work, CBC