Arthritis Community
Severe low back & leg pain....need surgery. Any advice on how to r...

Severe low back & leg pain....need surgery. Any advice on how to relieve the pain??

I had a discectomy in 2008.  They called it a Failed Back surgery bc as soon as I woke up in the recovery room, my left leg burned like fire....and has ever since.  The surgeon explained I had too much scar tissue on my sciatic nerve.  So, 2 years ago and after being put on the fentanyl patch and other opiates,  lyrica for nerve pain, I had 2 more surgeries.   A spinal cord stimulator that didn't work, they removed it and put one in with paddle leads...supposed to work better.  It didn't either.

So today, I think I'm 26 days fentanyl free...my dr was fired and they left all her patients to fend for themselves.  I came off fentanyl,  cold-turkey.   I now see a neurologist who has me on 4800mgs neurontin a day, 800 mg ibuprofen 3 x day, and a muscle relaxer.   None of this seems to help and ibuprofen is the strongest med she will write.

She referred me to the best pain clinic in wv, I went yesterday.   The dr said he couldn't help me.  He wanted to send me to the Cleveland  Clinic for a surgery consult for 2 ruptured discs and a fractured vertebrae.   Discs are L4 and L5.  I asked to be sent to my original surgeon in Charleston.  

My question is, has anyone went through this surgery and what was your outcome?   Also, besides heating pad, tinge unit, hot baths, is there anything I can do to alleviate this pain?  The burning is starting in my right leg, as well.

All suggestions welcome!!!
Cindy
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Cindy,
How are you? What other symptoms are present? I'm sorry to  hear about what you have been through for the past 5 years. Outcome may vary from one person to another depending on a variety of factors such as medical history, age, overall health and response to medicine. Aside from pain medications, complementary and alternative medicine such as biofeedback therapy or acupuncture may also help provide relief. Take care and do keep us posted. Best regards.
Hi Dr Santos,

How are you??  I have a lot of heavy pressure,  achy pain in my lower back....to the point,  I can't sleep.   Burning in left leg....worse than ever, from buttock to foot....numbness below left knee and left side of left foot.  Some burning starting in right foot....neurontin helps it, but does nothing for left side.  Surgery consult consited of him telling me rods n screws would make me feel worse.  Taking scar tissue off left sciatic nerve could result in paralysis.   Morphine pump was his suggestion but I'm not doing that.  Going for 2nd opinion.

What are your thoughts? ?

Thx,
Cindy