Arthritis Community
Soft Drink to get Rid of Gout?

Soft Drink to get Rid of Gout?

My doctor recommended drinking Fresca to help rid myself of Uric Acid.  Has anyone else been told this?  If so, why?

Thanks.
WOW!  Never heard of that BUT I drink Fresca everyday, my blood work tests always show my Uric Acid 1+ and Calcium Oxalate 2+.   Now I HAVE to look into this one.  The doctor didn't tell you why, or what is in it that can help?  If not perhaps you can call them back on Tues, and ask, I would love to know the answer.    I didn't think anyone even knew what Fresca was anymore!

Sue
For my non-uric acid kindey stones (calcium oxalate ones I make) I've been told by my well-known Urologist to drink as much lemonade as possible .... the acid has a good effect on the calcium oxalate stones not forming .. wonder what the Fresca has to do to help the uric acid ????  In my case also magnesium and citrate acid are biggies to avoid stone buildup.

Cheryl ..  arthritis in my ankle, too :( .....
I had heard soft drinks actually aggrivated gout.  Just did a google search and all indicators are that it is sweet soft drinks that cause gout flares.  So I googled Fresca and found it is sweetened by aspartame so maybe it works as a replacement for sweet beverages.  
I see my doctor tomorrow, so I am going to ask him to explain it to me.  When he told me last week, I was hurting so badly, I didn't really listen to everything he said.  I heard "Fresca" and "pain relief".  I'll come back and post what he says.
Thanks!  Will look forward to your post!
OK, please pardon my ignorance as I try to explain this.  My doctor is half Persian and half Italian, and sometimes his accent is more than my Southern mind is used to.  But, here's the long and short of it.  He said Fresca has citric acid and potassium citrate in it.  When you have a build-up of uric acid in the kidneys, urine tends to be quite acidic.  Citrates make urine more alkaline, and in an alkaline environment, uric acid will dissolve, allowing you to rid yourself of it when you urinate.  He said if you tend to have gout, or kidney stones (I'm pretty sure most of my family is "gritty"!), it's not a bad thing to have a Fresca a day to help keep the kidneys cleaned out.  Just don't over-do it or you could end up with an upset stomach. Interestng.  
Very interesting!  I have a friend with gout and I think I will let him know what your Dr said.
BTW, I am LOL about the accents.  I am in the south too so I can relate.  :)
If you cannot stand the taste of Fresca there is a pill called Urocit-K which is potassium and citric acid ... but I just cannot tolerate it ..... it gives me terrible terrible reflux.  Maybe I'll try the Fresca as I do have the stones and I like soda.  I've been told lemonade, too, works well ............ my uric acid levels are normal via blood and urine but they say it helps for other kidney stones, too.

Gail, I hope you feel better soon ...

Cheryl