Arthritis Expert Forum
Tetanus Shot

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Tetanus Shot

My mom recently went to the doctor for a sinus infection, and also received a tetanus shot.  The following day she went back to the doctor and he advised her to go to the emergency room as she had so much pain in her arm, and is very very swelled up, and her arm was VERY WARM.  They did an MRI and did sergery (surgery), found water and a jello type of stuff in there, as the doctor's say, they don't know what it is, and have to send it to get a culcher of it.  ALSO, THE DOCTOR SAID THEY MAY HAVE TO REMOVE HER ARM IF IT'S BAD.  SHE IS NOT ABLE TO MOVE HER ARM, AND IS VERY DARK IN COLOR INCLUDING HER HAND.

I need to know if you know what is causing my mom to have this severe pain, and to gro through all this.

Thank You!
Difficult to say without personal examination.

However, any type of infection (i.e. cellulitis) is possible - which may or may not have resulted from the shot.  

If they are talking about amputation and surgery, the possibility of necrotizing fasciitis may be considered.  This is a decaying infection of the fascia (a layer below the skin) - often requiring surgery.

This can be discussed with your mother's surgeon or personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
Dear Dr. Pho,

My doctor has advised me that's it time that I had a tetanus shot.  I have Fibromyalgia, Bursitis, Neuralgia, Inflammation, Tendonitis, Sciatica and Arthritis.

Is it necessary to have a tetanus shot even at my age (49)?  

Will there be adverse side effects which could make my conditions worsen?

Thank you,
Jacqui Tucker