Arthritis Expert Forum
Tissue damage, sepsis from untreated infection?

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

35 yr. F. I have pain and inflammation in my hips/groin for 20 mths on L side and 10 mths R side.  Femoral nerves are painful, numbness. Hip impingement both sides, painful mobility/range of motion problems, ortho says caused by inflammation.  I have seen 2 neurologists, 2 orthos, 2 rheum. + 2 PCP's & several ER visits.  I take lots of meds including neurontin, skelaxin, vic. for groin pain.  During this time also diagnosed w/endo., IBS, hiatal hernia, gastritis, fainting/dizzy, vomiting weight loss, many SLE symptoms (lifelong) + hist.of infections: sinus, UTI, cellulitis, Cat Scratch.  LAbs show deficient IgA & C4, ANA 160.  More pending.  MRI's, CTs, Xrays head to foot. EMG- all mostly normal.  1st rheum. said Fibro (pain in 1/18 ptns) and CFS, said it was 'up to me to get better' and no medical treatment. 2nd rheum. suspects Immunodeficiency and autoimmune problems.  I started 200mg/ day doxycycline 3wks ago, and have ahd dramatic changes.  Swelling in hips going down- last week suddenly got range/mobility back that has been gone for over a year.  Felt GREAT for 3 days, now have "crashed" waves of nausea, flu-like skin, severe and sharp pains in groin/hip (but different than before), BURNING (new feeling) around thigh.  Lots of activity in the areas, inlcuding femoral nerve being more painful than usual.  If this is an infection, how could so many dr.'s have missed it? And if it's infection, is there danger of tissue damage or some toxic shock?  I feel awful and I was so excited that I was getting better last week.  I am not conident in any of the dr.s (except new rheum.), how do I make sure everything bad is truly ruled out? Am I in danger of sepsis?  Wouldn't 20 mths of infection damage tissue?  Will that heal?  Thanks.
If you have been evaluated by 8 physicians and consultants, it is unlikely that I can provide anything new over the internet.  

If infection is a concern, the blood tests you would have would likely catch it.  A blood count and blood cultures can be considered to look for infection and sepsis.  If there is tissue damage, a creatinine kinase level can be obtained.  

Regarding the pain, I would obtain the consultation of a pain management specialist or physiatrist (rehabiliation MD) to help manage your symptoms.  Procedures like trigger point injections may help with the chronic muscle and joint pain you are having.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
I have similar symptoms to you. The Burning skin thing for me is a new one but it really does hurt.  I hope you feel better...your not alone :)
Okay my previous comment got messed up...

But what i meant to say was that the BURNING pain hurts. Just like you, it strated in my thighs, and is now in my back and arms. My skin is sore and it hurts aLot.  after reading this forum a couple other people felt the burning pains too.  I hope you feel better....